Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do the binding by hand? >

Why do the binding by hand?

Why do the binding by hand?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

I have done it both ways. I like the way the flip to the back and hand stitch looks the best and that's what I do for quilts I give away. For quilts for me I flip to the front and use a zig zag. I don't mind the hand sewing.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:24 AM

I love handstitching the binding and actually often handstitch onto the front b/c I like the look of it. Makes it look more homemade to me. Handstitching the binding is very relaxing for me.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:32 AM

I do mine by hand for the simple reason I do everything else by hand. I guess if I used a machine to quilt it, it would make sense to machine bind it...
Old 05-01-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I feel the same way. I don't hand stitch that well, and my machine is capable of many stitches. I did not spend a gazillion dollars on a machine only to have to finish something by hand. GO FOR IT!

I agree.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by oatw13
I sew mine on by machine. I just don't have the patience for hand-sewing. I don't enjoy it at all.

I sew my binding to the front and flip it to the back. I use the glue basting method to hold it down then stitch in the ditch on the front.

Works for me! :)
Exactly as she said! I hate hand sewing, besides, my quilts are to use, not for show. I guess if I were to ever enter a quilt show I would sew by hand, but I don't ever intend to do quilt shows.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tink74
My Aunt, whom has quilted for years, gave this answer...hand sew to back when heirloom or decorative, machine from front when you want it sturdy. Make sense?
That's how I do mine, too. i prefer the look of hand-stitched bindings but when I do machine sew the binding I use the serpintine stitch. I have much better luck catching the whole binding using it.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:48 AM

This is a great idea!!!
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by oatw13
I sew mine on by machine. I just don't have the patience for hand-sewing. I don't enjoy it at all.

I sew my binding to the front and flip it to the back. I use the glue basting method to hold it down then stitch in the ditch on the front.

Works for me! :)
Fantastic idea... (flip, glue, SID on front again). I've done fancy decorator stitches on the front (usually a pattern of little twined leaves, or hearts or even airplanes). The line of stitching is small, the binding is securely fastened. And best of all... I don't kill myself trying to hand stitch something like that.

The funny thing is, I've now taken up cross stitching as an interest/hobby to learn. lol... guess I'll learn how to hand stitch after all!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
This is a great idea!!!
Originally Posted by kwendt
Fantastic idea... (flip, glue, SID on front again). I've done fancy decorator stitches on the front (usually a pattern of little twined leaves, or hearts or even airplanes). The line of stitching is small, the binding is securely fastened. And best of all... I don't kill myself trying to hand stitch something like that.

The funny thing is, I've now taken up cross stitching as an interest/hobby to learn. lol... guess I'll learn how to hand stitch after all!
lol. What's a great idea? Having to learn how to Cross stitch/handsew??? I guess I agree, no skill that's learned goes to waste. But... Oh! I so lack the patience for big, handsewn projects! lol...
Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
I can't understand why it is so important to flip the binding to the back side and sew by hand with the blind stitch? We have these nice machines and why not put the binding on back and flip to front and sew on machine. You could even use the blanket stictch. Before I start this binding today I would like to make a decision on this. Years ago when I made a few quilts and took a class at the college, we sewed it on by machine. Why not now? Thanks for input. Suzanne
I like the look of hand sewn binding, but have arthritis in my hands and wrists and can't do hand stitching for more than a few inches, so I sew mine on the sewing machine. Sometimes I use a fancy stitch, sometimes just straight stitch. I set my machine needle so it stitches just to the right of the edge with a part of the foot riding along that edge; I get a very straight stitch that way. We all find our own ways of doing things, and unless we are doing a competition quilt, I don't see any reason to do things any way other than what we enjoy doing. No quilt police here. There are no hard and fast rules for the majority of us.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:56 AM

I have asked that questions several time and everytime I get the same answer.....It gives your quilt a better professional finished look. It is my least favorite about quilting !