Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
why do people do this?? >

why do people do this??

why do people do this??

Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 AM

I use 1/4 all the time. my machine is so old that it will not adjust the width down, moving needle to the right, only up, moving to the left. I have to use a 1/4 foot because my farthest right setting is center. all my markings are in cm, if I put tape on my machine I have to remove it ever time I change the bobbin, then re apply tape, it never seams to match up right again. LOL All things considered the 1/4 foot is the best way for me to go.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 AM

Thanks to all who have replied to my post. You have made my sewing in the future much simplier. I will use 1/4" for all my quilting from now on and POOH!!!!on the scant. I will try the thinner thread to finsh the one on Craftsy because I am really enjoying making the different blocks. Had never heard of such a thing ( thin thread ) before today. The only reason it bothered me so much was because the first two blocks had plenty of extra block when I squared it up and then my 3rd was not even close to 12 1/2". So I guess "live and learn" is the quote of the day. We're going to be in the 70's all week, more than 15* above normal, so enjoy your week as much as me. glenda
Old 03-13-2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Your challenge is easily enough met ... move your needle slightly, . . . .
That would be great, unless you have an older machine that doesn't "move your needle slightly"! It has three positions and nothing in between!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 AM

I dislike any pattern that states "scant 1/4'" my scant may be less or more than the "prescribed scant". For quilters - this is so vague. Maybe moving the needle to the right one click on my brand machine is more than another brand machine. Ugh! I did the February craftsy BOM using my scant and the block is a "scant" bigger than the pattern!!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:45 AM

I have a table top sears machine. I can't adjust to scant. I make quilts for family. I enjoy quilting and the process, I am happy that I can do a quarter inch.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:11 AM

I agree! a 1/4" should be that measurement and not a scant seam.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM

Thank you for the logical explanation -- at least it made sense to me!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 AM

I have to disagree with oh munner, depending on the type of piecing, hst, bias etc..and the amount of piecing for some quilt patterns..it's make a big difference. If you are making a king size quilt just imagine the multiplication of all those, " just a little bit off," seams over the entire design center! As a longarm quilter, I've seen the result that assumption that a little bit off piecing won't make a difference. Personally I think it's easier to take the time to check the seam allowances and know that what I'm piecing is going to be done to the best of my ability.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

My needle does not move. I use the 1/4" line on the machine and 1/4" foot. I only make blocks for my quilts. They are easy to line up seams and if my quilts are several scants less that is okay with me. Doubt anyone would notice.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:12 PM

The 1/4" foot for my Janome is actually a scant larger than 1/4"...go figure. I can only move my needle in the direction that makes the stitch even wider, not narrower. Someone told me the lines on an index card are a scant 1/4" so I used that for a correct measurement and put down a couple layers of tape to give myself an edge to run my fabric along. Then someone else told me that all index cards are not created equal. I give up! All rulers are not created equal either so what's a girl to do??