Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
why do people do this?? >

why do people do this??

why do people do this??

Old 03-14-2012, 04:19 AM

That is my kind of answer to my husband the gadget collector. Why have different tools cluttering up the place when one will do ?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:23 AM

Default the point is!

I get what some of you are saying. The point is "Why can't the patterns be made to use a 1/4" seam?" There are so many of us that can't move the needle. Why not allow for the loss of fabric in the seams and make it simple for all of us. I know I've struggled with this to the point of giving up on a log cabin that starts with 1' wide strips.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:02 AM

[QUOTE=Annaquilts;5056307]It is only an issue when you swap blocks. QUOTE]

Will it still be an issue if we only swap blocks that we design? Not blocks that are regular patterns?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:32 AM

People, it doesn't have anything to do with the patterns. All it has to do with is your own machine settings, the thread you use, the way you press and the way you cut your pieces.

The point is to have the finished piece, be it block or quilt, come out to the planned size. There are many, many ways to adjust any of the factors that affect block size and if you want to end up with a perfect 12½" block every time, you'll do what you need to for that to happen. If you don't care and prefer to just sew consistent seams, that's fine, too. It's totally your call.

The only reason patterns says "scant ¼" is because people were complaining about their blocks coming out too small for all the reason mentioned elsewhere. The pattern wording has nothing to do with it and there's no way the writer can make you sew perfect measurements. If your finished blocks are too small, they'll be too small whether the pattern said to use a scant ¼" or not. Would you prefer they say to cut the pieces a "tad" larger than the measurements listed?

Do a test block, measure it and make whatever adjustments you are comfortable with to make sure the size is what you want it to be. It's an easy habit to get into...and can save frustration and fabric galore! It's exactly like testing the gauge of knitting needles and yarn before you start a new sweater.

There is NO finite measure for a "scant" quarter inch, just as there is no finite measure for a "dash" of salt or a "dollop" of whipped cream.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 AM

Not all machines have the choice to move the needle over. I vote for 1/4" period.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:56 AM

How much is really a scant? You can measure a 1/4" perfectly but what measurement is a scant? I have never used a pattern that calls for a scant and probably will not especially if it is causing so much problem.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:00 AM

I TOTALLY agree !
Old 03-14-2012, 07:03 AM

Patterns do accomadate a standard 1/4" seam. The problem lies in the pressing your seams. Seams take up space, so using a scant 1/4" allows for that space so that you wind up with block size the pattern intended it to be. Every full 1/4" seam takes away from the true size of the pattern. Can you imagine trying to cut out an intire quilt scant 1/4" larger. I think a lot of people would quit making quilts.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:54 AM

Well,a scant 1/4 is to accomidate the thickness of the fabric and thread after the pieces are sewed together.Try cutting a 1 1/2 in,square and sewing with an exact 1/4 in seam.Now re-measure,do you have a 1in. finished square.No,because the fold of the fabric and the thickness of the thread takes away from the final finished measuremant.So if you sew a scant 1/4 in. it's more exact after the quilt is pieced.But,I also just do a really good job and then move on.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:46 AM

LOL Ghostrider - good luck. Thanks for all the explanation. The rotary vs template cutting was the perfect explanation, that had never occured to me.