Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
why do people do this?? >

why do people do this??

why do people do this??

Old 03-14-2012, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
I'm with all of you, a "scant" 1/4" is a crazy measurement. Did your grandma sew everything a scant 1/4" ? I doubt it! And, if that measurement is so important, then why don't ruler manufacturers just add it to the extra 1/2" measurement on the cut side of the quilt rulers? I say, for an accurate block, line your fabric up along the 1/4" foot and suffer the consequence of your final quilt being slightly small than what the pattern says. You can always makeup the difference with your borders and, at the very least, your seams won't be splitting after the first washing.
That is exactly what I do. I am not going to drive myself crazy with a scant 1/4" seam. I have the 1/4" foot and run my fabric along the edge of the foot. As long as all the pieces are done this way, it works. So my quilt is 2" smaller than the pattern.....who follows a pattern all the way anyway?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by nanascottie View Post
what kind of machines do you all have that you can move the needle to make a quarter inch scant??
Bernina, and I love it.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo View Post
I hate 'scant', what is the point? patterns should be made to accomodate standard 1/4" seams. PERIOD
I so agree! It seems to me, that this "scant" thing just started in the last 5 years or so. Just go look in one of your old quilt books/patterns, and they specify 1/4" seam.....
Old 03-14-2012, 03:32 PM

I purchased a scant 1/4" foot for my 301a from Sew Classic.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Elaine433 View Post
That is exactly what I do. I am not going to drive myself crazy with a scant 1/4" seam. I have the 1/4" foot and run my fabric along the edge of the foot. As long as all the pieces are done this way, it works. So my quilt is 2" smaller than the pattern.....who follows a pattern all the way anyway?
I so agree and I always ise my 1/4" foot.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:53 PM

When a pattern calls for scant 1/4", I add an 1/8th of an inch on all sides to the rotary cutting and then sew the 1/4 " anyway. I always do a sample first with scraps to make sure the measurement works to the final block size. If not, I adjust it. I do this even though my machine has the needle adjust for scant 1/4". I took 'scant' out of my quilting dictionary a long time ago and I get along just fine.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I purchased a scant 1/4" foot for my 301a from Sew Classic.
I wasn't aware that Sew Classic had the scant 1/4 foot, and ordered one from Tom at Twice Nice Shoppe. His e-mail address for those who want it is: [email protected] The one I got from him is for the low shank sewing machines and cost me $6.95 last fall. I hope this helps some of you who also have FW and other machines where you can't move the needle.
Using a thinner thread sounds logical in piecing the quilt. I think when some were calling piecing thread 'quilting thread' and confusing others about the thread to use.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie View Post
I so agree! It seems to me, that this "scant" thing just started in the last 5 years or so. Just go look in one of your old quilt books/patterns, and they specify 1/4" seam.....
Sorry, but this hasn't been "in the last 5 years or so"...it has always been a "scant 1/4" seam...due to hand stitching and the pressing of the cloth.
Perhaps some more knowledgable quilters can chime in about the scant "1/4" seam...
K
Old 03-15-2012, 03:27 AM
crt

I am making a block of the month sampler quilt. Some of the blocks have as few as maybe 15 pieces that we cut to make a 12" block. There is one that I'm making this month that has over 70 pieces that we cut to make a 12" block! On the block that has a fewer number of pieces, we use a regular 1/4" seam. On the blocks with a lot of pieces, we have to use a scant 1/4 seam, so basically about 1 thread less than a 1/4. If you take 1 thread bigger seams over 70 times, your block will never measure 12 inches, and that's a lot of work to have a block end up way too small.

If you're making a quilt that has blocks that are made up of roughly the same number of pieces, your consistent 1/4" seam will work fine; if not, you have to compensate for the space the thread and pressing takes up. I hope I'm explaining this so that it makes sense!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by crt View Post
I am making a block of the month sampler quilt. Some of the blocks have as few as maybe 15 pieces that we cut to make a 12" block. There is one that I'm making this month that has over 70 pieces that we cut to make a 12" block! On the block that has a fewer number of pieces, we use a regular 1/4" seam. On the blocks with a lot of pieces, we have to use a scant 1/4 seam, so basically about 1 thread less than a 1/4. If you take 1 thread bigger seams over 70 times, your block will never measure 12 inches, and that's a lot of work to have a block end up way too small.

If you're making a quilt that has blocks that are made up of roughly the same number of pieces, your consistent 1/4" seam will work fine; if not, you have to compensate for the space the thread and pressing takes up. I hope I'm explaining this so that it makes sense!
I have never seen a block with 70 pieced pieces. Could you post a picture?