Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do people >

Why do people

Why do people

Old 05-25-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I agree. An almost worse scenario is when they don't respond for 3 months, then come back and say OK, but they need it in a week.
I've made a list of these people and 3 mths from now if they get back to me they are out of luck.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:41 AM

Boy you are all on the money in my book. drive a school bus and the manner of the kids and adult have gone south over the years I have work with the kids. and we have people that can forget they manners as well on this borad we have one who is looking for scraps. I have send a reply to her with what I can do and nothing. in a few daya she back on the borad liking for scraps again??? oh well it take all kind and for the most part people here are good. and the ones that are not.we will find out at some point. thank for letting me add my vent to this post. Sorry and Happy quilting to all.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

tons of people think home made things should be cheap! not!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

oops posted twice.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

I am sorry this has happened. I do not do many consignment quilts but the ones I have done have worked out very well and the people payed up front. If people do not seem to appreciate quilts then I will not take the consignment.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:08 AM

I agree it is inconsiderate to wait three months and then say I want it next week or to not reply at all, but they are qualitatively different responses. In the first case, I would simply tall the person I no longer have the time to accommodate your request, particularly in the time frame given. But in the second case, how many of us phone for 'estimates' for something, or just to see what the price is when we are comparison shopping? The person I talking to at the moment may in fact be the one I buy from or contract with, but I don't feel compelled to phone back everyone I got a price or estimate from to tell them that I've chosen someone else. Providing estimates or prices is part of doing business if you are selling an item or a service. I know in the case of the board here, the relationship seems a b it more personal, but essentially it is still a potential buyer asking for an estimate. I sell in a different medium and because I need to put in a considerable amount of time producing a design and price, I typically require a "design fee" that is deducted from the final price if the buyer agrees to purchase, otherwise it partially compensates me for the time and effort required to produce a price.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:43 AM

I think people have become rude, and don't think about a courtsey call to say they are not interested.
I only make quilts for family.
They may think that homemade quilts would not cost much more then store bought
Old 05-25-2011, 07:19 AM

Hmm that is a bit rude. I went into quilting thinking it would be a lot cheaper than it is, but I think it's worth all the money and wouldn't want to make a quilt for anyone who didn't understand the care and energy we put in.

However, I personally sometimes don't like to thank people or tell them I'm not interested especially in big businesses, because I think it will be wasting their time to open a useless email when they might be getting hundreds a day and it is a pain to go through each one.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Hi Denise, I'm also sorry this is happening to you. So far I've only made quilts for family and ONLY for the ones I know will appreciate them. This is probably just me but I have no desire to make quilts for hire.
You are not alone. I have always felt that if you start selling them, (or anything else) it becomes a job and is not fun any more.

You can never get what you feel is a decent price.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:29 AM

That would be me Denise, and I am so sorry. I got busy with other things, which is no excuse. Your embroidery work is beautiful, your prices for it are more than reasonable. Never underestimate yourself. I simply haven't decided what I am going to do yet, but will get back with you once I do. I still should have communicated with you as I don't appreciate when people do that to me. Thanks for the wakeup.