Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do we give quilts? >

Why do we give quilts?

Why do we give quilts?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:07 AM

I have only asked for one quilt back. I made a wholecloth quilt for my nephew when he got married. After five years his wife filed for divorce and I asked for the wholecloth quilt back. She begrudgingly returned it to me and I put a different label on it and sent it to the nephew it was made for. The reason I asked for it back was because it was made out of a designer sheet that had belonged to his mother before she died of cancer. The ex knew what the quilt meant to my nephew and wanted to keep it to hurt him.

My daughter gave me a quilt back that I made for her because it was not her cup of tea. It was made with purple roses and she hates purple. I had it with me mending it when I took a sociology class and the male instructor when gaga over the quilt! He adored purple and said it was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. I asked if he would give it a good home and he couldn't believe his luck! He was from Sweden and had been through a real loss and was so greatful for the quilt. Now ten years later that my daughter has given up her goth ways she asked if she could have the quilt back and she was horrified I had found a home where it is loved and cherished. I still get a Christmas card from the teacher each year updating me on how much he loves the quilt!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:14 AM

I just want people to be happy with and love the gifts. That's it.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebraK
It's not mine after I give it away. No expectations, but I do offer life long mending for it ;-)
this is pretty much my sentiment. It's not a real gift if it has strings attached...however,...if I do become aware that one was abused, there won't be another going to that particular recipient.
I just want my quilty gifts to be used and enjoyed and appreciated.
No big drama, just a hug and a thank you...anything after that is gravy and I love gravy ;)
Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 AM

I wanted to give a friend a lap quilt for a birthday present, but she was not real receptive to the one I wanted to give her. So I let her choose from my stack of lap quilts...and I didn't like her choice (it was not the one I intended for her to have!) but I kept my mouth shut and smiled. It was a gift, so I graciously let her take her choice home. Then guess what....she asked me two months later if she could trade it for the one I wanted her to have to begin with. Of course I let her come back and choose the one I thought she would like in the first place. She is ecstatic that I gave her a quilt for a present...and let her trade it for something more suiting to her taste and home with no fuss. Giving and letting go are really the same thing!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Bev

I love mine to get a lot of use, and they usually do. Mainly they're given to kids so my hope is that they'll be worn to a frazzle. My 22 year old DGD has had me replace patches in her Grandmother's Flower Garden so many times that I doubt there are any original ones left. And she's had it since she was eight. She's had several more as she's grown up, but that is her favorite. 8-)
Old 12-02-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
who had asked for and received a quilt I made that won ribbons in three different quilt shows, told me that she was enjoying the quilt and her two cats "loved" it as well. No offense, I am just not a cat person and I had vision of kitty shredding the quilt. But you know what, it is her quilt and if she is happy, I am happy.
Cats love quilts--and not shredding them. They like sitting on them.

Let me share this picture. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...4&id=701112807

and this one
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...a&id=701112807
Old 12-02-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
My only complaint is when I give a quilt away and it is turned around and donated to Goodwill. Yes, that happened once with an acquaintance. I made her new baby a beautiful quilt that I even posted on this board. A few weeks later I saw it in the back of her van in a box marked Goodwill. I was so very hurt! I guess it did not match the baby's nursery. I hope someone at Goodwill fell in love with it.
That probibly would have bothered me, but hopefully went to some one who needed it !! For some little one to drag around and love.
I agree. Someone probably got a treasure and was delighted at being able to afford something so nice!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:59 PM

As to them being drop cloths. Around my house when things aren't in good condition anymore, they get cut up and reused, either for mechanic's cleaning cloths, quilt squares or drop cloths when painting or when our dogs have puppies and the female needs a place that's kind of cozy--those will usually get tossed after use, though I may wash them (usually we use old towels).

Using a quilt for moving furniture really makes sense...if the quilt is old and in not very good shape. It wouldn't bother me to see an old quilt I made be used in this way. Now, the one I gave last year....it would bother me, but I'd try to get over it.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by quiltgrammyt2
I hope that when I give a quilt it'll be used and loved, I love it when I go to my DD house or my parents or in-laws to see the quilts I made for them on the beds or one of the grandkids wrapped up in one wathing T.V

However recently I was at a second hand store and seen a quilt an older friend had made(it was hand peiced and hand quilted)for her great-granddaughter-in-law for her new baby there forsale,I picked it up and they wanted $4 for it,I bought it and I now treasure it, I have not told my friend about it because I didn't want her hurt.
You are a true friend! :D
Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 PM

50 years ago my grandmother finished a quilt for her first great grand child, my son. She died a few days later before my son was born. When my grandfather told me the above story as he gave me the baby quilt, I told him it was such a precious item I would put it up and keep as a memory of my grandmother. My grandfather replied it was made with love to be used in love and grandma wanted it used. I used that quilt with both of my children and now it waits to snuggle another little one. That lesson from my grandparents taught me quilts made and given in love are to be used in love to comfort and cuddle the recipient.