Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do we give quilts? >

Why do we give quilts?

Why do we give quilts?

Old 11-30-2010, 08:09 AM

Like others have said, I want it to get used, but not abused. I don't want them to turn around and use it in a dog crate/house or anything. It would be more than a compliment for a baby blanket to be worn to shreds.

I am making one for my dad (hopefully for Christmas!) and I am giving it with the disclaimer that it is not to be given to his beloved dog (the man has never been an animal person until this dog, and now he does nothing but spoil her rotten). I made her a bed, he gets the quilt.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 AM

When I was younger I would put my treasured items away so they wouldn't get broken or ruined. I guess to me they were too precious for every day. Then I read an article by Erma Bombeck (after she was diagnosed with cancer) about how she saved the good china for special celebrations, and her special perfume bottle was still full because she was saving it for special occasions...etc. and she suggested we use our "special" things in our living every day so we could enjoy them rather than pass them on unused or hardly used after we die. So then I started useing things more often. But when my aunt died and one of the things I received was a bowl that she always put the mashed potatoes in for holiday and family gatherings (she took care of grandma so all the aunts & uncles would gather at grandma's house) when I was a child growing up. And I liked having it as a memento of that time. My husband and I were so far away from there that we had never spent a holiday there. When telling a friend I had gotten this bowl and a few other items, she said 'and use it often yourself-that's how memories are made. And if it breaks, you and your family will have memories of using it too. But what memories will your kids have of it and her if it is in the cupboard and never used?'. These lessons taught me to use my "special" things. When I have read on this board of quilters commenting someone is not quilt worthy because they put a quilt away on a shelf and never use it, I wonder how many of those folks are saving it because it is so special to them rather than not using it because they don't care to have it. If you find someone has put your quilt on a shelf or in a drawer, let them know you would like to see them use it so they can have memories.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:44 AM

when i give a quilt i hope it is used. that is why i gave it to them. most of the people i give to know how much is invested to make quilts.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Banned

When I give a quilt I hope is is used even if it is abused. When my DD laid on the couch for a year recovering from not 1 but 5 surgeries the quilt she was wapped in not only cuddled her it was abused. She was only able to touch fleece and flannel from the the nerve damage her injury casues. I needed a flannel quilt ASAP, it was made within a few days and tied it since I only hand quilt and it had to be done. The only time it was not cuddled was when she was at the doctors. I had a window of 2 hours to wash and dry the quilt. It was draged on the floor from the bedroom to the couch. There was pasta sauce and soup along with vomit all on the quilt. As I said she HAD to have her quilt. The vomit and food got spot cleaned until the next doc appointment so it could be wash. The appointments were 2 days a week so it wasn't like it was totally filthy. A few months ago Maryjane and her quilting group sent DD a small quilt, she loves it and cuddles it while laying on the couch. The flannel quilt is still folded for her to use as the weather is getting cold however it is stained and can not be cleaned but it was much loved and much used. You would never know it is 1 year old but the comfort it gave her was all that mattered. I am sure after her next up coming surgeries it will go through the same abuse. I realized life is short when you give something to someone it is NOT suppose to come with instruction they should do with it as they please. If people have problems with what is done with a gifted quilt then prehaps they shouldn't give their quilts as gift. Or is it that the people who don't want their quilts used/abused are just control freaks and no matter what a person would do with a gifted quilt the giver would not approve.

Once you give it is no longer yours to have any say in how it is used, stored, folded, washed or anything else. You wouldn't do that is the gift was a sweater OR WOULD YOU???? why do it for a quilt, just because you made it? That was your choice to make the quilt but not to dictate how it is used. Babies don't come with instructions why should your quilt????
Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 AM

i have seen my quilts being used as art on the wall to comfort for their pets.

i don't mind how my quilts get used - people love their pets too and if they want a quilt for their dog or cat i'm happy to provide.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i have seen my quilts being used as art on the wall to comfort for their pets.

i don't mind how my quilts get used - people love their pets too and if they want a quilt for their dog or cat i'm happy to provide.
I guess I am just not an "animal person" (I know many on this site are though)... I would cry if my dad's quilt ended up in the dog's crate.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Banned

What I dont understand is, You give the quilt away. It isnt yours any more. If they let the dog sleep on it, by god then the doggy gets to use it with love. how ever they show love. I had a great doggy who destroyed my bed quilt. she thougth it was ok to sleep on my bed if she rolled the bedding back. In doing so she put holes in my fist full size quilt. Ok not her fault she never was alowed to be on the bed. Yet you hear some people who get upset becasue a dog is lying on a quilt. big whoop.Fur babies think they are peole, make a nother one. if noe then dont complain how it is loved. your way is not of treating a quilt is not nessesarly thier way. You make em, they use em thier way, get over it.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 AM

I try to remember that once I give the quilt, it is no longer mine and I have no say in how (or whether) it gets used. However, I would much rather know that my gifts are being used and loved (OK, maybe not in a kennel), than hidden away somewhere.

I always make sure to include washing instructions when giving them, so that they know up front that it is OK to use it, get it dirty, and then throw it in the wash.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
What I dont understand is, You give the quilt away. It isnt yours any more. If they let the dog sleep on it, by god then the doggy gets to use it with love. how ever they show love. I had a great doggy who destroyed my bed quilt. she thougth it was ok to sleep on my bed if she rolled the bedding back. In doing so she put holes in my fist full size quilt. Ok not her fault she never was alowed to be on the bed. Yet you hear some people who get upset becasue a dog is lying on a quilt. big whoop.Fur babies think they are peole, make a nother one. if noe then dont complain how it is loved. your way is not of treating a quilt is not nessesarly thier way. You make em, they use em thier way, get over it.
I didn't mean to start a debate! Laying on a bed on a quilt to me is far different than balling it up in a crate anyway. That was a bit harsh though... I'm done. Moving on.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 AM

TruePeach you said it all. Blessings