Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do we give quilts? >

Why do we give quilts?

Why do we give quilts?

Old 11-30-2010, 03:52 PM

I agree! They can use it or not as they see fit. I do try to only give hand-made gifts to people who I think will appreciate them.

Originally Posted by DebraK
It's not mine after I give it away. No expectations, but I do offer life long mending for it ;-)
Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM

I want them used. When I first married my late DH, his very sweet Portuguese mother told me to use all the fancy stuff we got for presents EVERY DAY. She asked me a question that made it all make sense.

She asked me..."What am I saving it for? For DH's NEXT wife?"

So even when the kids were little we used every thing we had that was pretty, from dishes to quilts from older family, etc. And we all had lovely memories of that life. And the kids learned early to take care of things, but they were still used constantly.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:08 PM

My 2 grandaughters (15yrs and 13yrs) still have their baby cot quilts I made when they were born and they take them everywhere with them!! They have been washed that often there is hardly any design left on them!! Only the quilted outline remains!! They have both had several quilts since which they have on their beds but the cot quilts are still number one!!! I offered to repair them but they were horrified saying the frayed bits added character!!! Kids! Don.t you just love 'em!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:18 PM

I want my quilts to be used and loved. As for "abuse" I don't count spilled soup or vomit as trupeach mentioned as abuse. I would not want to see a quilt used in the garage or as a dropcloth. As for someone using it for their pet - well I'm a dog lover but still wouldn't want to see that. I'll happily make the pet one. Quite a few years ago I made a quilt for my mother after my father passed so that she could snuggle under it and feel warm and loved. When she died, I found the quilt still in the box on a shelf in the closet - never used. I felt so bad. I really wanted her to enjoy it. She was of the mind you "saved" special things for special occasions. I was brought up like that too, but after this incident realized how silly it all is. Most things can be replaced, and if not, at least you had the pleasure of using it and the memories made.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redquilter
I want my quilts to be used and loved. As for "abuse" I don't count spilled soup or vomit as trupeach mentioned as abuse.
Maybe I worded that wrong. I don't consider it abuse but I am sure others would. If they knew someone would vomit on their quilt would they give it to them to cuddle under at the time or would they SAVE the new quilt for days it wouldn't happen and give then someless less pretty/new to cuddle under. Unless a person dumps paint on it or sets it on fire I don't consider normal use of barf and blood as quilt abuse.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:38 PM

I want them to be used and snuggled and loved to pieces and hopefully be used as a reminder of how much I loved that person.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I want it so throughly used there's nothing left but shreds. I found out years ago a baby quilt I made for a friend's child became his security blanket and he drug it around after him until kindergarten. It was worn and had holes. My friend asked me embarrassed if there was any way to save it and was worried I'd be upset. I told him of course we could patch it up and I was thrilled something I made was soooo loved and cherished by his son. I'd love that to happen to all my quilts!
My two daughters ages 32 and 22, both successful, professional women still have the shreds of their "woobies". I am told that they are kept in the closet and brought out when things get sad or particularly difficult. They say its kind of like a mom hug.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:47 AM

I have a quilt my grandmother made and gave to my mother. It is in rags and totally unrepairable but I refuse to get rid of it. Oh, the memories!
Old 12-01-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Conniequilts
Over the last several months I have seen many people complain that their quilts don't get used and complain that their quilts do get used.

Are we supposed to give directions with the quilts when we give them?

Something like: if you aren't going to use this quilt please return it OR if you are going to use this quilt please return it.

I, personally, am elated when my quilts get used. I don't even get upset when I am told there is an "owie" on the quilt. I just say, "bring it back, I'll fix it". If it's beyond repair (as I know one heading my way is) then it's time to make a new one.

Just curious: why do you give your quilts and what are your expectations of use?
Last Christmas I made a fleece blanket and bone shaped pillow for my "grandpuppy". He has destroyed the pillow and is now chewing holes in the blanket. He carries it around and lays on it and chews on it. I guess if he had a thumb he would be sucking it. The blanket looks like swiss cheese, but I am thrilled he loves it so. This Christmas he will probably get another one to chew. I don't care what the recipients do with my handiwork as long as they appreciate it.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:23 AM

I still have the 1st quilt I ever made which is 20 years old and the ugliest thing I have ever made. It's tied and still holding. It too has been used for everything. Yes , it's faded, lumpy and has a couple of split seams which I will repair. It sits folded on the end of the couch where it can be grabbed by the gk for a nap, tossed on the floor to watch TV and pushed and scrunched by the animals for a bed. To all of us, it's part of the family.