Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why do we give quilts? >
  • Why do we give quilts?

• Why do we give quilts?

Old 12-01-2010, 06:23 AM

Bless your heart! All stepkids should have such a loving step-grandma! I hope that she gets in contact with you again.

Originally Posted by pheasantduster
    I made a quilt for my "step-granddaughter" when she turned 13. In my heart I knew the marriage of her father and my daughter was troubled. Within two years they were divorced and I have not seen this lovely young lady since. I hope the gift of the quilt will always remind her of the fun we had together and I hope she feels the love that I had tucked inside the quilt while working on it.
    Old 12-01-2010, 06:48 AM

The quilts I give are used and used. I repair them when possible. My neice was here recently for her daughters baby shower and when she saw the quilt I had done she told me she was ready for a new one because hers was worn out. It is only 24 years old and used daily. lol
    Old 12-01-2010, 06:49 AM

I agree with Candace, it thrills me when I know a quilt I made was so very used & loved. In fact I often put in a little poem with the washing instructions that says it is meant to be used til nothing left but shreds.
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:07 AM

I love to see the quilts I make loved and well used. However, there are 2 dear friends that want me to make quilts for them, but, I refuse. Why? I feel that they won't appreciate them. You see, a few years ago, I made each of them a fleece throw. My hand was killing me making all those fringes, but, I thought these would be special for these friends. Gave them as Christmas gifts. One, she told me that she gave it to her dog to play with which he chewed up, and could I make her another one. I said that I don't have time. As for the other friend, I went to her house a couple of weeks after giving it to her, it was laying on the floor in the back hallway. Her husband came in from the garage and walked right on it (he could have at least pushed it to the side), and left grease marks on it. Will I make a quilt for either of these ladies - No Way!!! Maybe I'm wrong, but, that is how I feel.
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 AM
    Cyn

Once given away, I have no expectations! Just more room to make more and another excuse to go SHOPPING for FABRIC :) Everyone wins!
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 AM

I really hesitate to give my quilts away. People who do not do hand crafts really can't appreciate the time, money, and effort that goes into a project. Only my husband knows what it is all about. I made a bed size quilt for my granddaughter with the instructions that it was never to become a dog's bedding. I also would be pleased that someone used my quilt so much that it became threadbare.
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 AM

When I give a quilt, I say IF you choose not to use it, give it back to me, and I will find someone who will. Let me know now.

Should it rip I have extra fabric. I didn't WORK on it I put LOVE in it for YOU, in hopes that it would keep you warm at night.

In all honesty, I WANT to see my quilts warn and used.
    TreeFrog
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:46 AM

My mum did that with the quilts I've made for her. She never used them and perhaps someone will now so I don't see it as a completely negative thing. Lately she has mentioned getting rid of wall hangings I made, but those I want back! I guess I would prefer them to be used and if not by the person I gave it to then I would rather they hand it on than put it on a shelf.

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    My only complaint is when I give a quilt away and it is turned around and donated to Goodwill. Yes, that happened once with an acquaintance. I made her new baby a beautiful quilt that I even posted on this board. A few weeks later I saw it in the back of her van in a box marked Goodwill. I was so very hurt! I guess it did not match the baby's nursery. I hope someone at Goodwill fell in love with it.
    Old 12-01-2010, 07:52 AM

I agree that once given, a quilt is no longer mine and the new owner can do as she/he wishes with it. That said, I have to tell you that I was a bit taken aback when my granddaughter, who had asked for and received a quilt I made that won ribbons in three different quilt shows, told me that she was enjoying the quilt and her two cats "loved" it as well. No offense, I am just not a cat person and I had vision of kitty shredding the quilt. But you know what, it is her quilt and if she is happy, I am happy.
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 AM

I was just getting ready to make my brother a quilt. He is 60 yrs. old and still rides dirt motorcycles. He buys a new one every 2 yrs. He even transports it in a special trailer that is completely sealed like a small garage with work bench and tools. I found some racing motorcycle fabric that would be perfect for him (since he's been a racer ) I bought it knowing that this quilt will be prized because it's from his sister but I won't be shocked when it is used to keep his shiny well washed and polished bike warm. Oh well! I'm still gonna make it.