Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do we give quilts? >

Why do we give quilts?

Why do we give quilts?

Old 12-01-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by oops
About a year ago, I gave two little abused girls quilts. They are being taken care of by their nana and recently their nana washed them as she often does and ended up on wrong beds. One of the girls reminded her right away which one her aunt had given her. Those are comfort quilts for the little girls. Used plenty. We hope and pray the father can never get custody but if they do, I hope they will be allowed to keep their security blankets. Quilts are to be used and I tell people that when I give them away. When I see them well worn that is okay. Better to be worn out than to be old and unloved
That goes for people too! :D
Old 12-01-2010, 01:19 PM

I found this poem (I think on this board) attributed to Nancy Riddell that I now include with my baby quilts:
It's OK if you sit on your quilt,
It's OK if your bottle gets spilt.
If you swallow some air and burp, don't despair,
It's OK if you spit on your quilt.

There are scraps old and new on your quilt.
Put together for you on your quilt.
If your gums feel quite numb,
'cause your teeth haven't come,
It's OK if you chew on your quilt.

I expect you to lie on your quilt.
If you get hurt you can cry on your quilt.
On a cold rainy night,
don't fret you're all right,
you'll be snug,warm and dry on your quilt!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Haha great question! I LOVE when people use my quilts with I suppose one caviat. I labored over my daughter's and she was thrilled. I loved that she used it everyday. THEN, she told me she had an oil stain on it from WHEN SHE TOOK IT CAMPING! LOL, it was hand quilted so I told her, sister, you aren't getting another for a while, your brothers are next so you'd better take care of it!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:58 PM

As all my quilts have been given away to grandkids, I've said, I want you to use this quilt. The only request I make is that when you wash it, you wash it separate of anything else on delicate. When a seam rips let me know I'll repair it. When it's worn out bring it back and I'll make you another!
Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM

Well said Starshine :P
Old 12-01-2010, 03:15 PM

i haven't really thought about it much because the quilt i finished for my aunt will be treasured and taken care of just due to her age and the age of my cousins.

I do want to make rag quilts for my nephews(7,8,10) and those i do envision being loved and well worn.

After i finish the GFG for the same aunt, I will be making one for my mom - it will be well taken care of - and loved
Old 12-01-2010, 03:19 PM

and when one wears out after being so loved - turn it into a teddybear to serve as a reminder forever of the first quilt!
Old 12-01-2010, 03:33 PM

I made my 1st grandchild a quilt for his mom's baby shower. It was on the cover of a book of baby quilts and I searched high & low for the same fabrics, cause I just loved it. Fast forward about 2 years - we were visiting at their home (we're from out of state (like 1100 miles away) and doing some of our laundry, and there on top of the dryer, wadded into a ball, is this precious baby quilt...wet. I felt sick at heart. I didn't know what to do, but I decided to let my d-i-l know how sad I was and offered to take back the quilt. Turns out their washer overflowed the drain sink and drenched everything on the floor. Baby quilt had needed to be washed and was w/the rest of the laundry. It got put on the top of the dryer for "special care" that just didn't happen. It happened that day. Now that precious grandson is 6 yrs old and has asked grammy to please make him a quilt for his bed "just like his baby quilt, only bigger". I've now tried to talk him into something more 6 yr oldish, but no go. He wants a quilt for his bed "just like his baby quilt, only bigger." If I hadn't spoken to my darling DIL, this day would never have happened. That said, once a quilt (or any gift) is given, you don't have the right to determine how it is used. Unless of course, it is sitting on top of the dryer, damp, etc. etc.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 117becca
and when one wears out after being so loved - turn it into a teddybear to serve as a reminder forever of the first quilt!
Becca, I really like the idea of a teddybear from an old quilt. What a great idea. Debbie
Old 12-01-2010, 03:58 PM

My cousin made her sister inlaw a large quilt...It took eons to make and she was sooo excited to give it to her...Sister Inlaw actually wrinkled her nose and refused it because it didnt match her color scheme...
How could someone hurt smeones feelings like that..Especially a close friend.. I mean, eeesh tuck it away and just use it for a couch quilt/company..
Now shes asking her to make something else for her.. I know my cousin was thinking ( when donkeys fly) lmao