Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do we give quilts? >

Why do we give quilts?

Why do we give quilts?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I definitely give it to be used. All but few of the quilts I made are for use. I do not like it to be abused though. I have a harder time with people who overly treasure my quilts. I made a twin for an adorable aunt and she has it hanging center on her living room wall like a piece of art. I had made it picturing her grand kids snugling in it or draped over a favorite chair for use. I am so glad she likes it but I was surprised I felt a little sad it was not used. So I am definitely more a please use my quilts person. Part of giving quilts is the hug I am sending along with it.
You said it! It gives me so much pleasure when someone I gave a quilt to says they were wrapped up in it, it warms my heart because I know they thought of me.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:25 AM

I give my quilts away as a showing of my love for that person.
A gift from my heart to theirs.
I have no expectations on how that person will care for them, love them or neglect them. I gave the quilt to them because I wanted to share with them a quilt I made personally for them.
I do hope my quilts are taken care of, if not,
its out of my hands. :thumbup:
Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM

I want mine to be used! I told my sister (after I gave her a birthday quilt) "Use this! Throw it on your couch, let the cats sleep on it, hang it on a wall but DO NOT put it away in a drawer to save "for special". I told her if I found out she had done that I would come and take it back! LOL
Old 12-03-2010, 01:51 PM

This is from an old "Stitch 'N Sew Quilts" magazine. It was written by Debbie Anderson Searles

Surely when the final stitch is entered and the needle laid to rest only a quilter can know the feeling of pride soaring within her soul. She has the contentment of knowing that a long, hard journey has come to an end She has conquered a challenge and through her own patience and endurance has created a loving work of art. It may well live on long after she has finished her walk upon this earth.
Perhaps what makes a quilt so special, is that pride a quilter knows -- that deep in her heart she knows -- some distant future generation might gaze upon her quilt or touch its fragile threads and till feel the love and care that she has sewn in every stitch.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:29 PM

I love my quilts to be used .... I have made one for each grandchild and am now starting on great grandchildren ....
I am the keeper of the family quilts ... I have 5 generations of family quilts .... they are soft and worn and lovely to touch .....and beautiful to look at the one from the 1800s is so awesome made from scraps and worn clothing .... love it when my quilts are loved and used ......yep I do
Old 12-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

I give quilts as a lasting hug - to keep my friends warm, to acknowledge a special occasion, to give a gift of friendship. When I hand it over, I remove myself from any emotional attachment to the item because I do not attach strings (figeratively speaking). I hope they get used and loved and bring the owner joy.

Pat always kids me about having people on the Quilt List. Sometimes when someone behaves badly he will ask me if I took them off the quilt list. Sometimes the answer is yes.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:42 PM

I made a sm. quilt for a great neice when she was in preschool for show and tell, she is now a senior and is still using as a throw. Hoping some day she will want a new one. :D :-D
Old 12-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

once I give it I hope the recepient enjoys and uses it. That' all.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 PM

Have mostly been making table runners lately - the strip tube method one that makes up relatively quickly. All recipients have been thrilled and my boss has asked me to make one for his mom. Hell yes, I want them used. I don't care if they actually get used on a table, a bureau, or as a wallhanging. I'm just thrilled that the recipients gush over them and tell me how talented I am. I'm not but it's nice to hear anyway.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:24 PM

I think that we get upset when we work so hard and the person we give it to has no regard for our time or talent poured into the quilt. Being "used" and being "abused" are totally different things. Finding your quilt left out in the rain to rot or being used to lay on while changing the oil in the car after many hours of work hurts. If we choose the recipients of our quilts wisely, we will not be disappointed by the way they use them. I give mine to people I know love me and my passion for quilts and cherish the fact that they have one of their own.