Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why do we have UFOs?

Some of my UFOs come because I get all jazzed up about a new project and then for one reason or another I have to set it aside (while I work on something else with a deadline) then I get all jazzed up about a new project instead of going back and finishing the first one. Most of my UFOs are tops that are finished, but have never been sandwiched or quilted. I should just call myself a piecer instead of a quilter.

Power Poster
    I think I'm more of a fabric accumulator than anything else.

But do I ever have a lot of POTENTIAL stashed away!!!!!

I'm like so many of you, LOL! Mostly my UFO's fall into two categories: either I start it and decide I don't like it (or hate it, or it's giving me grief!), or I find another pattern that I just HAVE to do!

Woo Hoo CRH! That's my BIGGEST problem. This board is addicting!

I'm a Gemini....I HAVE to have chaos & lots of things going on at once, or I feel like something just isn't right! :wink:
    Please note my tagline at the bottom.....

Quote Originally Posted by CRH
    I would have fewer UFOs if I didn't spend so much time reading the quilting forum.!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I know just what you mean. it's the first place I go when I come home from work. It's fun, informative, funny, and gives me so many ideas for quilts. Ok, I'm addicted.LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mine are because I run out of time, get bored, and they need to be quilted, and that takes too much time, so I move on to somethig else.

i am on a fixed budget, so sometimes buying the batting for my quilt tops is not in the the amount i have left over. and since i never post pics of things that aren't 'finished' i have quite the pile of beautiful work just sitting here.

but my best friend is planning to give me a gift certificate for fabricland, which will be a blessing and free up some $$$ for me to buy batting...yay!! perhaps it is because she got one of my projects for her b-day and was impressed :)

My UFO's are always getting ahead of me, I think about another project and do not go forward and finish them. My problem is, something else "more important" comes up and voila one project out of my head another idea in it! Then another and another and that other one just lies there going "pick me, pick me"! If we finished everything, we wouldn't have anything to fall back on when we were left blank for ideas! :roll:

Banned
    I don't know :? that's like asking me how a carburator works. it just does and we just do.

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRH
    I would have fewer UFOs if I didn't spend so much time reading the quilting forum.!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I can SO RELATE to that!!! I should be down in my sewing room right now, kids are in bed, husband is hunting, but here I am on the computer with y'all!!

I have UFOs because:
    1 is a BOM that finished 2 years ago...but I didn't keep up (only 2 months left to do!)
    2 are classes I took that I didn't complete in class, so they got pushed to the back burner
    1 is a UFO because it needs velcro and i hate anything to do with velcro...thus the UFO
    the last 2 are UFOs just because other projects/fabrics came along that needed my immediate attention.

All of the above UFOs are going with me to my quilt retreat next week so I should not have ANY laying around my room! (That, of course, doesn't mean that I don't have any PNSs (projects not started) laying around....) :wink:

I have to say that i have never finished a quilt top that didn't immediately get sandwiched and quilted...i have NO quilt tops laying around waiting to be sandwiched and quilted!! :D

I have UFOs because I have to spend so much time at my job, which I need, because it pays for my quilting addiction. And there is always another block or quilt I want to try. I usually share them with my mom, and so she starts new projects all the time too. I know where I got this sickness from, I come by it honestly. Mom and I sew together on Wednesday evenings. She has many UFO's. Back in the beginning of summer I told her to choose one project that she would really like to see completed, and I would help her work on it on our sewing day each week. When we get one done, she chooses another and we work on that. We have been making a lot of progress by concentrating on one project at a time on our sewing day. And as a bonus, it keeps her from worrying about living on a fixed income and not being able to afford gifts. She has been giving beautiful gifts as a result of our efforts on her UFO's.

Linda

Banned
    I'm new, I have none... yet

Don't worrry you will have some before you know it.

The projects I consider to be UFO's rather than slow moving WIPs are mostly because I'm not sure what to do next. One of the first quilts I started I really like the fabric and design, and want to finish it, but its from before I learnt to rotary cut and to be careful about sizes, so I think I need to unpick a lot and sort out the sizing.
    I find that quilts intended as a present for a someone tend to stay on track better, but then they're also the ones that crop up and help to make something else into a UFO.

OK the truth is I have at least 35 UFO's. But I love it! I always have something to work on, I don't get to bored with one project and I always finish it sooner or later.........mostly later! :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2