Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT? >

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 PM

I have always love snuggling with a quilt that one of my grandmothers made. I preferred quilts over blankets all my life, and when I found I could make them not only like my grandmother did, out of leftover scraps of our clothing that we made, but also create something that gave meaning to someone, I fell in love with the craft. Also, like amandasgramma said, quilts are much more appreciated than my painting were. I gave away a few of those, but they go out of style with new decor.... To me and my family quilts will never go out of style, as they have love sewn into them and can be passed down to others. It is a good thing to do. :)
Old 10-27-2011, 10:40 PM

Because I love love love fabric!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by wuv2quilt
I know that in days gone by making a quilt was often a matter of necessity. You had to keep the family warm, or freeze to death. Frequently, you made do with what was on hand. You didn’t get to go to your LQS, or actually have a “stash”. You did what had to be done in order to provide for your family.
In this day and age most of us don’t HAVE to make a quilt for the necessity of it…we have central heat / air, gas logs, and usually more bed linens they we know what to do with.
This being said, I’d put a quilt on every bed in my home, (I just need to make enough to do that). I LOVE quilts! I enjoy the process of selecting my fabrics, color schemes, design / pattern layout, and most important, (to me), who the quilt is for.

So, WHY do you quilt?

Is it for the love of the craft?

The ability to create what will hopefully be a piece of your family history?

The joy it brings you?

Artistic expression?

So, Why Do You Quilt?
I love the colors, the building of something from little pieces of fabric and it keeps me sane ! Also , its hard to munch and sew at the same time
Old 10-28-2011, 07:32 AM

Why do I quilt?

Let me count the whys!

It is an interesting craft which can be challenging but fun.
My husband died 6 months ago, and I need something to divert my mind.
I don't enjoy TV, hate living alone.
Sense of accomplishment when I create something beautiful.
and on and on and on...
Shayvian
Old 10-28-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by wuv2quilt
I know that in days gone by making a quilt was often a matter of necessity. You had to keep the family warm, or freeze to death. Frequently, you made do with what was on hand. You didn’t get to go to your LQS, or actually have a “stash”. You did what had to be done in order to provide for your family.
In this day and age most of us don’t HAVE to make a quilt for the necessity of it…we have central heat / air, gas logs, and usually more bed linens they we know what to do with.
This being said, I’d put a quilt on every bed in my home, (I just need to make enough to do that). I LOVE quilts! I enjoy the process of selecting my fabrics, color schemes, design / pattern layout, and most important, (to me), who the quilt is for.

So, WHY do you quilt?

Is it for the love of the craft?

The ability to create what will hopefully be a piece of your family history?

The joy it brings you?

Artistic expression?

So, Why Do You Quilt?
You said it so well it's like you know me!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 PM

I have always sewed & I love the feel of fabric. I have admired quilts and the work that people put into them. Beside that it keeps me off the streets. :lol:
Old 10-28-2011, 01:05 PM

Thank you to everyone that responded to my post. I have really enjoyed reading your comments, explanations, and even the tongue in cheek quips. I've cried over a few comments, and rolled on the floor with others; BUT, I have been thoroughly delighted by each and every one of your posts.

Blessings, Hugs, & a Quilter's Love to ALL of you :):):)
Old 10-28-2011, 02:59 PM

All of the above!
Old 10-28-2011, 04:20 PM

I still have one my grandma made and I still snuggle with it when I need to feel close to her.
Originally Posted by RobertaMarie
I have always love snuggling with a quilt that one of my grandmothers made. I preferred quilts over blankets all my life, and when I found I could make them not only like my grandmother did, out of leftover scraps of our clothing that we made, but also create something that gave meaning to someone, I fell in love with the craft. Also, like amandasgramma said, quilts are much more appreciated than my painting were. I gave away a few of those, but they go out of style with new decor.... To me and my family quilts will never go out of style, as they have love sewn into them and can be passed down to others. It is a good thing to do. :)
Old 10-29-2011, 05:34 AM

It brings back memories of when I was little and I would climb into bed and have quilts keep me warm! It is so comforting, both quilting and wrapping up in one!