Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT? >

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:25 PM

It's my stress reliever & because I LOVE it!!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 PM

For me it would be the same question as Why do you breath? I can not not do it. Double negative makes it difficult, but it is exactly as it is: If I do not quilt, I must be dead. Because I quilt in my mind during work, I quilt during dinner, during dental surgery.

Why I quilt? Why not!

Have fun quilting!
Anymart
Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 PM

I quilt for me, I'm with you I love the process! Love the look and for the same reason I make my own curtains I can't find what I like with the quality I want from the store! Yes I may spend $100 or more I dare say to create what I want I know that its made 100% better then that $300 quilt you can buy mass produced from a chain store. Plus can't pass down electronics lol I want something of tradition for my monsters to hang on too to remember where they came from!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by gigi10
Originally Posted by happymrs
It takes me away like nothing else ever seems to! I have always loved fabric, so it works out great for me. It's my creative outlet, & I can do things on my machine that I can't do otherwise. I don't think it's a crazy question, but if someone doesn't quilt, they might, lol!....
I am an artist with needle and thread. I sew from the time I get up to the time I go to bed, except for when I am on here. It takes me away and In my peaceful place I can think my own thoughts, pray, listen to God speak to me. So much of the world is so busy and loud..........It also means I can share my love for quilting with others and we learn from each other.
Beautifully said :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-27-2011, 02:48 AM

I like to be creative and when I quilt the time flies by. It's good therapy since when I quilt I think of nothing but quilting.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:57 AM

It is something I really enjoy doing with my wife. It is the first hobby I have had that we can work together on.

Plus the completed projects take up much less storage space than my woodworking projects.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 AM

All of the above but also to keep me sane! it is my relaxation and a time to not think about worries or problems other than getting my point nice and sharp! lol
Originally Posted by wuv2quilt
I know that in days gone by making a quilt was often a matter of necessity. You had to keep the family warm, or freeze to death. Frequently, you made do with what was on hand. You didn’t get to go to your LQS, or actually have a “stash”. You did what had to be done in order to provide for your family.
In this day and age most of us don’t HAVE to make a quilt for the necessity of it…we have central heat / air, gas logs, and usually more bed linens they we know what to do with.
This being said, I’d put a quilt on every bed in my home, (I just need to make enough to do that). I LOVE quilts! I enjoy the process of selecting my fabrics, color schemes, design / pattern layout, and most important, (to me), who the quilt is for.

So, WHY do you quilt?

Is it for the love of the craft?

The ability to create what will hopefully be a piece of your family history?

The joy it brings you?

Artistic expression?

So, Why Do You Quilt?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:00 AM

Wow that is almost the same way my husband thinks! he loves that it is something we can do together and he says that cutting fabric is more forgiving than cutting wood! lol
Originally Posted by purvissp
It is something I really enjoy doing with my wife. It is the first hobby I have had that we can work together on.

Plus the completed projects take up much less storage space than my woodworking projects.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:03 AM

I love creating beautiful things - problem is I have NO artistic talent! Quilting lets me express myself with simple patterns and beautiful fabrics. It makes me feel good!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:05 AM

love all the answers, I also think theres a connection with our grandmothers before us.