Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT? >

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Old 10-27-2011, 03:08 AM

Its my identity. My little grandaughter said it best when I threatened to just get rid of it all. But Grandma, that's what you do! And of course, ditto to what everyone said.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:11 AM

I guess quilting makes me feel special to do what so many can't. I love the joy it gives others when I give them something I made. I love the challenge of trying to creating something beautiful and unique. I make mistakes but I learn from them. I try not to worry about the flaws because they are a part of me. I am hoping that what I make will be cherished long after I am gone.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:17 AM

Dear wuv,
Ok you asked! lol I used to crochet and cross stitch, alot! After years of making enough Christmas decoration type crochet stars, snow flakes, angels, etc etc etc and dozens of doilies I decided I was growing bored with crochet. Then, I taught myself to cross stitch. How hard can that be, right? Well, in order to do it 'right' it takes time and patience. But, I did teach my self to cross stitch. But after cross stitching pieces like 'The Little Aviator" and his girl kickoff, sorry I can't remember what they called her, and a whole ton of other cross stitch type pieces such as quilt scenes, which I absolutely loved, I grew bored with cross stitch. I was looking on the internet for a craft that I could carry along with me to just about any place I wanted to go. I came across a website that, very basically, taught a person how to cover hexagons to make a GFG quilt but it only gave directions to cover the paper pieces and only showed how to make one flower. Sooo, after I looked at the direction/instructions and decided, I thought that was something I could do. Wow, who can't whip stitch a seam or two together, Right??? So without a plan or pattern I just started covering pieces of hexagon shaped paper with fabric. After I had a few thousand of those made I decided it was time to start to sew them together. Well, the instuctions/directions didn't tell me I needed a pattern or some sort of organized thought as to how I was going to put these things together. I started stitching together the hexs in some very untraditional type patterns but all in all they do look like flowers but just not with the traditional looking flowers (which I later found out that the flowers should have a certain center, then a first and second row to like fabric flowers for each of the two circular rows). See, no pattern, no specific directions, no clue. Anyhow, after I started making these 'flowers' I went back online, I think to Youtube this time, to find out what else I should do....Wellllllllllll, that's when I found a whole array of GFG quilts and how beautiful they are, if done right, and that I should have had a specific plan and pattern. After spending many many many many many many many many many many hours on the computer, and here on the QB and buying books and supplies and fabric (I used to call it just plain old 'material'... I know better now,lol)...I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE quilting....AND I'm learning to do it right. I took an Applique class, which I thoroughly love. It's been almost three years and I just this past week finished hand stitching my 1" hexagon GFG quilt top. I've learned sooo much along the way. The ladies here on the QB have been fabulously, terrifically, magnificently wonderful (Geez, I hope I spell those words corrently). I know I've asked some of the craziest questions and no one has told me, "Hey, look, crazy lady, get off our site", lolol..Just kidding.

NOW, you asked WHY? do I personally quilt. Initially, it was relaxing. I could carry the hexs, while I was in the hex covering phase, anywhere at all and work on it whenever, it was so portable. I could cut out those small little squares of fabric to cover the hexs anywhere at all. I hand cut those too, see, no clue, didn't know I needed rotary cutters and patterns and pins, lol. I even printed and cut out, by hand, the 3245 paper piece hexs that are, even now, still basted into my quilt top awaiting removal when I start the sandwiching and basting phase, which will be started real soon, I just went, last week, and bought my backing fabric and batting. HOWEVER......I believe God puts you in places that you NEED to be just at the right time rather than places you 'think' you should be. I am going through a divorce right now and just yesterday i found out I have to have a breast biopsy, (when it rains...it pours, as the old saying goes). Without something to keep my mind occupied, especially when I'm home, I think, right about now, I could go complete bonkers. When I'm stressed, I can pick up a piece of quilting, I love hand stitching, and work on it for a while and I soon find that I am no longer tense or to the point where I could just scream out loud. I am very new to quilting and I think that the little miniscule of knowledge that I have acquired, so far, has helped me to keep my sanity. I can't imagine ever growing bored with quilting. There are sooooo many patterns to choose from, fabric colors and designs, tools to play with (I love tools, lol), sewing machines to buy ( I have three so far), a vast variety of threads to choose from, I could go on and on. have a 'In The Future' TO DO list with about 12 ideas on it, so far. AND last but no where near least....I love the people I've met and chatted with both on the QB and in person. Quilting has been a God sent gift. This is where my Angel has guided me and she's doing her job very well.....Thanks, Mom......
Old 10-27-2011, 03:39 AM

I guess it started when I was around six. I took a piece of my mom's beautiful cotton, sat down on the floor, just started cutting, and cut out what I thought was a blouse. Well, at least it looked like a blouse to me -- and all I had to do was sew up the sides. My mom was furious with me (times were tight then and she certainly didn't have the fabric stash I have today!) That was my first tough lesson in fabric appreciation.

From there, at my mom's insistence, I took sewing classes in 7th thru 12th grades in our public school system. (You can't find a sewing machine in our schools today).

Mom didn't make quilts, she was a seamstress and made clothes for other people, but my love for sewing and creativity came from her. I opened a magazine one day (after I was married and was raising five kids) and saw a beautiful quilt and where to get the pattern and instructions on how to make it. From there, I was hooked.

I quilt because I can.
I quilt because I am.
I quilt to leave a legacy.
At least that is the plan.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:45 AM

It started because when I would sew, my family would leave me alone! Therefore, I began calling it "therapy!" Now it is just fun again since the children are gone! :-P lol
Old 10-27-2011, 03:48 AM

Fun.

and...because I get unique, designer quality furnishings, clothes and accessories that match! (How's that for self-promotion!?)
Old 10-27-2011, 03:55 AM

I quilt for the love of fabric and the process of putting things together. But I may have inherited this disease also because at a very young age I remember laying under my grandmother quilt frame and watching the needles go in and out. So I am doubly blessed. Also, some days it is my therapy. To get away from all the worries and concentrate on something beautiful.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by AZTeri
Originally Posted by erstan947
Just.....because!!:)
Ditto!

It's a creative outlet that is functional in addition to pretty :)
Double Ditto !!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:17 AM
tmg

I quilt for enjoyment!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:20 AM

I quilt for the joy it brings me and the ones I make quilts for