Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You Have More Than One Machine? >

Why Do You Have More Than One Machine?

Why Do You Have More Than One Machine?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 AM

I have 2 Bernina's, 2 Brothers, 2 sergers, and my late MIL's featherweight. I am hoping to get a Brother 1500 soon. I also weave and have more than one loom!
Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 PM

I forgot to list my little child size Singer that I learned how to sew doll clothes on almost 38 years ago (yikes!). I still have it and it still works....I am sentimental so no parting with old treasures
Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 PM

Gee..I have to change my total up to 5 machines. I forgot I have my Mother's old Kenmore machine that is still in the cabinet. I haven't used it yet but I do use the top of the cabinet as my pressing station in my studio.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 PM

I have two.....the same ones
My pfaff hobby 919-1 I bought almost twenty years ago
I do everything on it, patching, quilting ( although it has a normal sized throat) , sewing curtains, canvas, jeans and leather.
I bought one that is only three years younger and less used, for reserve.
I can sew, eat and sleep with my machine so I don't want another one.
and ok, newer machines do have some nice extra's to make things easier, but hey, as long as you've never used them you can't miss them!!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 PM

A Singer bought in 1990's, a Kenmore that I love, a 301A, and a modern Brother that is my go to machine.
Am interested in acquiring more. Each seems to have its own personality and all are my friends for that reason.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:04 PM

I am so impressed with this thread. Interesting to know all this. I do not have any of the machines I once had. I realize now that I got rid of them due to ignorance and lack of role models. I had a Singer when I turned 15 but never had "Home Ec".I did start sewing lessons from a local store but was threatened by someone as I walked home from a lesson late in the evening. I don't know what happened to that machine. I got a Singer soon after I married and my then husband used to read the patterns to me very slowly while I sewed. Got rid of that machine probably because I
couldn't figure out and was intimidated by the tension. I then got a lower priced Kenmore and got rid of that probably for the same reason. I still have the featherweight that I bought in the 90's in AZ. I attempted to have it fitted to a treadle base I bought as a piece of furniture, that was unsuccessful. I now have a Viking Designer that was out for service for 6 months two years ago. During that time I bought a Janome Horizon. I realize that I still have large gaps in my experience with all these machines. I love the needle down feature, the knee lift (which for a long time tried to use to make the machine go), the big throat, thread cutter, table, push button instead of pedal. I do not like the fact that I cannot enlarge the alphabet and the fact that the needle threader doesn't work anymore. I wish I could go to a place and list all the things that I find very important and that I want in a machine and do without all the other stuff. I guess I am showing my ignorance.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:27 PM

I have a couple of Berninas and some old singers that I have come across in travels. I just love having them even if they don't all work. Sewing has brought me so much joy for over 50 years, I just consider them all good friends. I even have two treadles that I use for nightstands. Now that I live in a different part of the country, I feel the need to keep one with a daughter for those visits. I can't help this addiction. In fact, I'm proud to have such good "driving" skills.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:35 PM

I loved reading through this thread! I have a 1973 Kenmore which is my primary machine for piecing and quilting, a basic Brother that appears to be about 10 years old and was purchased at an estate sale and is my backup when the Kenmore decides to take a break, and a Brother combo embroidery/sewing machine that I picked up on Craig's List for no reason whatsoever. I've definitely caught the bug and look for used machines at every estate sale.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=sulyle;5796782]Why not? Most have different purposes. I have one machine in a table, one for travel, a serger, an embroidery machine, and two older machines. For years when I did garment sewing I only had one machine. I've also given away a couple of machines so I'm not totally

Darn! I just went into my sewing room and noticed I have three old machines not two. Forgot that DD just returned one that she had borrowed for the last few years.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
mostly for classes and travel is my little one, but also as back up when my baby is getting her yearly cleaning which can take 2 weeks so if I need to finish a project I still can
Yep, me too. I also have a serger. I sold my other old one as I just didn't have room for it and it didn't suit my purposes any longer.