Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You Have More Than One Machine? >

Why Do You Have More Than One Machine?

Why Do You Have More Than One Machine?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I've seen many posts about people saying they have several machines. I have a sewing/embroidery combination and that's my only one. What do you do with the different machines?
I have 5 machines. My main one was a Janome , that I used a lot, then I baught a Janome Horrizen. So now I have both of those set up in my sewing room. It's very handy when I quickly need to sew something different, I just swivel my chair to the other machine. I also won a Bernina that I don't use much, & I have 2 FWs that I use when I need one to take along & I just love.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:49 PM

My husband once asked me why I did not get rid of my old machines when I got a new one and I asked him "why don't you get rid of your old golf clubs when you buy a new set?". He never asked about my sewing machines again. Although did say when he got me my first ocmputerized one "at that price, $1500, I should be able to throw the material in the room and come back later and the project will done." He has been gone for 15 years, but would probably die all over again at the price of the computerized machines now. Yes I have several, my oldest is my Singer Golden Touch & Sew my mother got for me back in the early 60's. I keep it for blind hemming LOL.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:14 PM

I have 13 machines, one I only use for zipper replacements and heavy patching, one is only used for fancy sewing(bridal prom and such) I also have 3 sew/embroider one I just got because it is small and portable, My 8 year old son has his own for 4-H and I have two I take for other 4-Hers to use. A few are vintage 1870's Willcox and Gibbs chainstitch that I have taken to civil war events, My husband's grandmother's treadle, a handcrank singer, a Wheeler and Wilson that I am restoring, and I have my grandmothers Green elna that she taught me to sew on.
When my hubby asked why I needed so many machines if they all do the same thing, I just asked why he needed so many tractors if they all do the same thing. He has not asked me again!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:46 PM

I have at least 7 working machines, several I got at garage sales for little . At first I just like to have them, but now I teach 10 yr. olds to quilt thru the mentoring program and they can use an old machine and I still have my two Janomes. I have 2 old cabinet machines in my east (unheated) porch that get used only on beautiful early summer mornings just for the atmosphere. I have worn out cheap machines, won't stop skipping stitches, was told it was due to stamped imported parts instead of machined parts, should just junk them, I guess.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 PM

I've seen many posts about people saying they have several machines. I have a sewing/embroidery combination and that's my only one. What do you do with the different machines?
I upgraded my Viking and gave my old one to my daughter and it continues to show up at my house! I have a Brother sewing/embroidery machine because I wanted to try machine embroidery and didn't want to spend a lot of money. I have my mother's old Bernina and I have two sergers, one is mine and one is my mom's. I keep cream thread on one serger and the other has black thread. My mom has dementia and no longer sews so all machines are at my house.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 PM

I have a big Brother sewing machine that I use at home. A small Brother sewing/embroidery machine that I can carry to classes and sewing retreat. I have an embroidery machine that only embroideries to use at home while I'm sewing on my big Brother.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM

let's see-- my g'mother's white treadle. a kenmore from '88, a singer heavy duty, a brother innnovis 2000, a brother se 400(?), and a sweet little fw i learned to sew on, 55 yrs ago, and somewhere there's another fw that was my aunt's. that's all. when i learn to use the embroidery machine i will probably then move to a better one, but for now i am more than fine with what i have.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:30 PM

I have two sewing machines. Both are older Singers. The machine that is currently not in use resides in the bottom of my closet until it is needed because the other machine needs some work done on it. I can't bear to be without a sewing machine for even one day. I keep my eyes and ears open for another workhorse with a larger harp but have not found one that I can afford.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM

I just like them. I have 24 and would buy another one tomorrow if I found one that I thought was interesting. I keep a featherweight set up in my sewing room, I use one treadle mostly for piecing, I use a 15-91 for FMQing, several others are set up with different thread colors. One is for buttonholes, one is set up for a blanket stitch. I also have one featherweight in my car that goes to guild with me.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 PM

Very interesting thread. I have 2 machines.