Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
why I have a 'stash' >

why I have a 'stash'

why I have a 'stash'

Old 04-27-2010, 06:01 AM

I hear you
Originally Posted by Gramof6
I don't know what happened to me. Honest. I took up cross-stitch and had to have ever color, size of Aida Cloth and ever color of DMC embroidery thread made. Then I took up Tole Painting with Acrylics. Had a ton of my fav. brands of paint. See a habit forming here? Then I got into quilting. Didn't know squat, but hit Hancocks weekly buying fabric just because it was beautiful. Then found JoAnns. OMG then possabilities were endless. LOL Then my dear little friend took me to the LQS. The rest is history. I found what I thought was a dream that I never wanted to awaken from. Started buying Ft Qtrs and started traveling around to Quilt Shows. The weekend after my DD moved out after graduating from college in 1999, I painted her room and it became my sewing room. Got DH to put shelves along the length of 1 wall and from there I just had to fill them up with stash. It has grown and grown from there. It is an illness I hope no cure will be found for. I have slowed down this year and not buying like I have in the past. That is not until the Show in Houston this Fall. LOL And that is how it began.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:37 PM

I kept finding patterns I wanted to quilt...I even made a list on Exel (oodles of lines!). We live about 1 hr away from 1 LQS, 1 Joann's (small), and 1 Walmart that still has material...so I started a decent stash.

Then September of last year we went on a trip to see 2 of our children and their families and my sister....who happens to live only about 20 minutes away from Keepsake Quilting....and my son.....who lives about 3 hrs away from Paducah.....and that was on the way home. Need I say more?

I was very careful however; we can still eat beans and cornbread for only about another 4 months and then maybe we can graduate to meat.....

So I have really slowed down on stash building. I still look for good sales and still have to buy batting every once in awhile.

I still fall victim to quilting magazines, however...
Old 04-27-2010, 06:17 PM

I have tons of fabric because I sew valances and sell them on Ebay. So I buy what I like.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 AM

I have a stash and a REALLY bad habit !! I NEED fabric and yarn and thread and and and... I am a hyper type person and if I dont have something constructive to do with my hands I may unravel my skirt and then yours and then knit it back together in a different pattern or quietly snip a pc out of two or three shirts of unsuspecting folk too close to me in church or on an elevator and pc one for myself...You get the drift... it is just easier if I have stuff of my own. THEN with the money I save in court costs I can buy MORE fabric,and yarn and books and thread and and and
Old 04-28-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by betlinsmom
I have a stash and a REALLY bad habit !! I NEED fabric and yarn and thread and and and... I am a hyper type person and if I dont have something constructive to do with my hands I may unravel my skirt and then yours and then knit it back together in a different pattern or quietly snip a pc out of two or three shirts of unsuspecting folk too close to me in church or on an elevator and pc one for myself...You get the drift... it is just easier if I have stuff of my own. THEN with the money I save in court costs I can buy MORE fabric,and yarn and books and thread and and and
Remind me to have some handy "throw down" pieces of stash for you to curb your appetite if ever we should meet!

:P :wink: :lol:
Old 04-28-2010, 07:59 AM

Yes, ma am
Old 04-28-2010, 11:25 AM

so that's why you re in hiding? !!! I see!
Originally Posted by betlinsmom
Old 04-28-2010, 11:54 AM

Good question - why DO I have such a big stash? Hm-m-m-m... because I can!! :) I look at it as my retirment - when/if it gets to the point when I cannot buy anymore I won't need to because I'll have my stash to dig into!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:34 PM

You must be younger than me. I too worked in hot lunch, but I only made $3 per month and my lunch. This was in 9th grade. From there I went to being a mother's helper(cooked, cleaned and took care of two boys my last 3 years of high school for $10 per month. I too know the value of a dollar and always buy the best fabric I can afford.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:36 PM

Well I just got to say this when I hear some one say their clothes are out of style! I have never been a person who went with the LATEST STYLES! As a kid when I wore brown colored jeans and my purple road runner shirt (by the way was a button down shirt) and my white sox with red tennies, need I say people looked twice. About a year later that became the style people wore. I wore tennies with my skirt outfits and dresses! Again people stared and later it was fashionable. I do not beleive in what people call styles except if you like it that is all that counts! Whether its so called outdated or what (including she is a little weird)style!! I am comfortable with whatever I wear if I like it and then it is MY STYLE!!