Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: why I have a 'stash'

  1. #1
    Super Member mrspete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC - USA
    Posts
    2,971
    I admit that I grew up pretty sparingly in every sense of the word. So, of course, sales unleash desires that aren't for publication. Being married for a thousand years, my choice of vacation, music, tv programs or friends and places to go were just a laugh. So, I would make things. Baby food jars, old clothes, clothes pins, cardboard just about everything had a value. I even would ask for old magazines that folks had and did mosaics on bottles and trace the cracks with magic marker. So, this stash was obvious like my makeup and my extra sweaters and things that I hord.....hmmm there goes that four letter word again... anyway, it is natural for me to say, I might not be able to buy it one day. So, I keep piling it up and now I'm sewing like a fein. I love my freedom. I love my life. I love sewing but the need for food purchases and utility payments keeps me away from my wonderful stash and my loving sewing machine...but I keep trying. That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

    So what's your story?


    Blessings, Ruth

  2. #2
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Pretty simple answer for me...I'm a bit OCD (Obcessive Compulsive Disorder).

    I tend to "charge" full bore at the things that interest me. Losing weight, I was on Calorie Count website several times a day. I could tell you within 10 calories what I had eaten on any day of the week. Didn't take me long to know how many calories were in the meals that we ate, or what I could order at a fast food place.

    I'm the same way with crafting or anything else that grabs my interest. And yep. I'm a "gatherer" and a "hoarder"....thankfully William isn't, and he talks me into getting rid of stuff when I need to.

  3. #3
    Power Poster earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    10,327
    My childhood was pretty spartan, and we moved and travelled constantly..not only homes but countries. When I was small I would dream of just staying put and hanging on to my possessions...Well didn't achieve that 'til I was just over 30, I then vowed vagabonding was out of my life. I have stayed put for well over a decade, am passionate about my garden, books and animals, enthralled by fabric and quilting. I think the thing with quilting is the fun of hunting and gathering and the quiet time spent designing and creating. The end result is not only beautiful but warm and somehow homely.

    One thing I can't seem to achieve though is "the look" (whatever that means). When people who know me find out my interests they always say...."but you don't LOOK like a quilter/gardener". Just wondering if anyone else experiences that?

  4. #4
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Ask them what a quilter/gardener looks like? ;)

  5. #5
    Super Member Gramof6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,357
    I don't know what happened to me. Honest. I took up cross-stitch and had to have ever color, size of Aida Cloth and ever color of DMC embroidery thread made. Then I took up Tole Painting with Acrylics. Had a ton of my fav. brands of paint. See a habit forming here? Then I got into quilting. Didn't know squat, but hit Hancocks weekly buying fabric just because it was beautiful. Then found JoAnns. OMG then possabilities were endless. LOL Then my dear little friend took me to the LQS. The rest is history. I found what I thought was a dream that I never wanted to awaken from. Started buying Ft Qtrs and started traveling around to Quilt Shows. The weekend after my DD moved out after graduating from college in 1999, I painted her room and it became my sewing room. Got DH to put shelves along the length of 1 wall and from there I just had to fill them up with stash. It has grown and grown from there. It is an illness I hope no cure will be found for. I have slowed down this year and not buying like I have in the past. That is not until the Show in Houston this Fall. LOL And that is how it began.

  6. #6
    Super Member thequilterslink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NW PA
    Posts
    2,682
    i too grew up pretty poor, it was a big treat to get fabric to make a new skirt, i use to take forever to pick out which piece to get. Now i am onto quilting and buying fabrics, can't seem to stop, although i have to live to be 500 to use what i have now lol

  7. #7
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    Three years ago, DH and I decided to go full-time RVing. We sold/gave everything away....including SOME, but not all, of my crafts supplies. The house did NOT sell - well, it sold 2 times, but both sales fell thru....So, we did take a long trip to Texas and then decided full-timing isn't for us anyways. Well -- now after 3 yrs of being back into the home.........My craft room is PACKED to the gills!!!! Yes, I try every craft out there.....at least once. Yes, I buy because "it's on sale"....Yes, I'm happy as a clam!!!!!

  8. #8
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    Well I grew up poor and I still am. I started buying fabrics at the thrift shop, I got some really nice stuff from there. Then I started purchasing from WM especially sense other quilters discovered my secret to shopping at the thrift shop and now I can't find any fabrics there worth purchasing. I don't purchase at the LQS cause they are too expensive for me and it would take me forever to get enough fabric to make anything. I have a fairly large stash in my home and 3 to 4 plastic tubs in my folks basement. I can quilt for many years to come and not have to buy for quite a long time. Yeah right like that will ever happen. LOL.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    744
    I grew up poor, no allowance $1.00 a week lunch money. started working in cafertira sp? making $8.oo amonth and lunch. My mother started borrowing from me. I never expected it back. all I received war her love,I would have that anyway. As an adult I tryed to do better beauty collage Tech collage, Two back surgerys cronic pain, cause memory lose no past for 12 ys. Now sewing & qting kept me sane until the pain disapeared, not over night. Three grown children, on good days I Qt a lot Bad days I dream of Qting. Ym stash came alittle at a time. I hate waste 5 tubs six boxes, gee thought I didn't have enough. I don't. Don't have mush to send. don't get around very good. But good days are wonderful. Quilting is Wonderful, and Qting freinds that are super. Theresse

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alturas, CA
    Posts
    8,482
    I used to make clothing, but even then not making enough to use up what I bought. LOL My problem started when I found a fabric store(many moons ago) that had fabric I liked, prices I liked AND lay-away. Boy, was I in trouble! LOL I used to make all of granddaughter's school clothes, then we home schooled for 5th-7th grades, so she didn't need school clothes and that's how I got into quilting. I have cut down buying fabric, mainly because I don't have the room for any more, especially in my tiny sewing room. My old sewing room was 500 sq. ft., my new one is 9x15. Not even enough room for ALL my stash. There's a small room attached to the back of my sewing room, that has the overrun of fabric. I have 5 machines in my actual sewing room and 4 more older ones in the "garage"(dirt floor) that I would sure like to put into the store room. I have to figure out how to get it organized so I can do that. LOL

  11. #11
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    One thing I can't seem to achieve though is "the look" (whatever that means). When people who know me find out my interests they always say...."but you don't LOOK like a quilter/gardener". Just wondering if anyone else experiences that?

    I do know that "the look" of having snippits of thread in strange places is one way that "they" can tell. Last week I was at a line dancing class and the lady next to me came up to me after the music had stopped. She said "I'm not trying to be fresh, but may I remove the thread from your butt?" I thought I'd explode with laughter. I explained to her that I had been quilting that morning.


    :lol: :lol:

  12. #12
    Super Member Melinda in Tulsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    4,493
    Blog Entries
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    One thing I can't seem to achieve though is "the look" (whatever that means). When people who know me find out my interests they always say...."but you don't LOOK like a quilter/gardener". Just wondering if anyone else experiences that?

    I do know that "the look" of having snippits of thread in strange places is one way that "they" can tell. Last week I was at a line dancing class and the lady next to me came up to me after the music had stopped. She said "I'm not trying to be fresh, but may I remove the thread from your butt?" I thought I'd explode with laughter. I explained to her that I had been quilting that morning.


    :lol: :lol:


    ROTHFLMAO!!!! :lol: :lol:

  13. #13
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Well I grew up poor and I still am. I started buying fabrics at the thrift shop, I got some really nice stuff from there. Then I started purchasing from WM especially sense other quilters discovered my secret to shopping at the thrift shop and now I can't find any fabrics there worth purchasing. I don't purchase at the LQS cause they are too expensive for me and it would take me forever to get enough fabric to make anything. I have a fairly large stash in my home and 3 to 4 plastic tubs in my folks basement. I can quilt for many years to come and not have to buy for quite a long time. Yeah right like that will ever happen. LOL.
    Our fairly new LQS has nice quality fabrics AND the WalMart-type fabrics. (I always shopped at Walmart for fabrics, but was careful to get the better quality pieces.) When WM closed their fabric dept, the LQS opened. The owner told me that she purchases the WM-type fabrics from a person who buys out the WM depts as they shut down. She has those on special tables.

  14. #14
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Well I grew up poor and I still am. I started buying fabrics at the thrift shop, I got some really nice stuff from there. Then I started purchasing from WM especially sense other quilters discovered my secret to shopping at the thrift shop and now I can't find any fabrics there worth purchasing. I don't purchase at the LQS cause they are too expensive for me and it would take me forever to get enough fabric to make anything. I have a fairly large stash in my home and 3 to 4 plastic tubs in my folks basement. I can quilt for many years to come and not have to buy for quite a long time. Yeah right like that will ever happen. LOL.
    Our fairly new LQS has nice quality fabrics AND the WalMart-type fabrics. (I always shopped at Walmart for fabrics, but was careful to get the better quality pieces.) When WM closed their fabric dept, the LQS opened. The owner told me that she purchases the WM-type fabrics from a person who buys out the WM depts as they shut down. She has those on special tables.
    I wish I had your fabric store. :mrgreen: I almost bought our WM fabric out when they down sized it. $.25 a yard and I had connections so I knew when it was going to happen(my mom worked ther in the fabric) so I got first pick. :lol: I am picky when I go there and shop, I have learned what is good just by feeling it.

  15. #15
    Super Member weezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Douglas County, GA
    Posts
    1,717
    My stash is not huge, especially compared with some I've seen on this QB. I have a stash for two reasons:

    1. Because I usually hate shopping, on the rare days that I am in a shopping mood, I need to take advantage of that mood.

    2. Some shopping trips are super productive and some trips are a total waste of time and I come home with nothing to show for time and effort spent.

    On a shopping mood day that also happens to be a productive shopping day, I can't afford to pass up fabric that I like; I'm sure to regret it if I don't get it when I have the opportunity.

    On the other side of the coin, I still have a huge box of quality garment fabric and new patterns (for clothes no longer in style) and lots of brand new clothes I made that I've never worn. The company that I worked for was sold in 1994 and, as the seller's secretary, I shortly thereafter lost my job. I never needed nor could summon up the enthusiasm to get another job, so I quit making clothing. This is sadly a perfect example of overbuying and/or not being able to see into the future.

  16. #16
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,173
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Well I grew up poor and I still am. I started buying fabrics at the thrift shop, I got some really nice stuff from there. Then I started purchasing from WM especially sense other quilters discovered my secret to shopping at the thrift shop and now I can't find any fabrics there worth purchasing. I don't purchase at the LQS cause they are too expensive for me and it would take me forever to get enough fabric to make anything. I have a fairly large stash in my home and 3 to 4 plastic tubs in my folks basement. I can quilt for many years to come and not have to buy for quite a long time. Yeah right like that will ever happen. LOL.
    Where in Louisiana is the QS?

    Our fairly new LQS has nice quality fabrics AND the WalMart-type fabrics. (I always shopped at Walmart for fabrics, but was careful to get the better quality pieces.) When WM closed their fabric dept, the LQS opened. The owner told me that she purchases the WM-type fabrics from a person who buys out the WM depts as they shut down. She has those on special tables.

  17. #17
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    .... This is sadly a perfect example of overbuying and/or not being able to see into the future.

    I see it as lots of plans. I did the same. But I eventually had to get rid of most of the garment fabrics. The only patterns I kept were a few vintage Advance patterns and my Stretch and Sew patterns, (Why I kept those, I have no idea.) and pajama and housecoat patterns. Occasionally I'll take out some of my cottons and sew up a new pair of jammies. It's about time for that to happen right now. My "newest" ones are a sorry sight.

    I gave my fabrics to a charity garage sale that helps support a soup kitchen.

  18. #18
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,763
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Well I grew up poor and I still am. I started buying fabrics at the thrift shop, I got some really nice stuff from there. Then I started purchasing from WM especially sense other quilters discovered my secret to shopping at the thrift shop and now I can't find any fabrics there worth purchasing. I don't purchase at the LQS cause they are too expensive for me and it would take me forever to get enough fabric to make anything. I have a fairly large stash in my home and 3 to 4 plastic tubs in my folks basement. I can quilt for many years to come and not have to buy for quite a long time. Yeah right like that will ever happen. LOL.
    Where in Louisiana is the QS?

    Our fairly new LQS has nice quality fabrics AND the WalMart-type fabrics. (I always shopped at Walmart for fabrics, but was careful to get the better quality pieces.) When WM closed their fabric dept, the LQS opened. The owner told me that she purchases the WM-type fabrics from a person who buys out the WM depts as they shut down. She has those on special tables.
    New Iberia, Louisiana -- Hwy. 87 (Old Jeanerette Rd.) -- Emily's Closet. Where are you?

  19. #19
    Super Member shequilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Ask them what a quilter/gardener looks like? ;)
    You'll always know a quilter by "strings" she wears.

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hattiesburg,MS 39402
    Posts
    1,469
    I work just to support my fabric habit. A few years ago the bosses decided to drug test everyone and I told them to save their $25 drug kit, I have a habit but it's to fabric not meth. I love fabric and don't intend to quit buying it. I do pay the lite/phone/gas bills and on a good week I buy some groceries.
    I too grew up poor, daddy did the best he could. Back them moms didn't work.

    Regina

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north Texas
    Posts
    861
    I hear you
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramof6
    I don't know what happened to me. Honest. I took up cross-stitch and had to have ever color, size of Aida Cloth and ever color of DMC embroidery thread made. Then I took up Tole Painting with Acrylics. Had a ton of my fav. brands of paint. See a habit forming here? Then I got into quilting. Didn't know squat, but hit Hancocks weekly buying fabric just because it was beautiful. Then found JoAnns. OMG then possabilities were endless. LOL Then my dear little friend took me to the LQS. The rest is history. I found what I thought was a dream that I never wanted to awaken from. Started buying Ft Qtrs and started traveling around to Quilt Shows. The weekend after my DD moved out after graduating from college in 1999, I painted her room and it became my sewing room. Got DH to put shelves along the length of 1 wall and from there I just had to fill them up with stash. It has grown and grown from there. It is an illness I hope no cure will be found for. I have slowed down this year and not buying like I have in the past. That is not until the Show in Houston this Fall. LOL And that is how it began.

  22. #22
    1quilt_gma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    376
    I kept finding patterns I wanted to quilt...I even made a list on Exel (oodles of lines!). We live about 1 hr away from 1 LQS, 1 Joann's (small), and 1 Walmart that still has material...so I started a decent stash.

    Then September of last year we went on a trip to see 2 of our children and their families and my sister....who happens to live only about 20 minutes away from Keepsake Quilting....and my son.....who lives about 3 hrs away from Paducah.....and that was on the way home. Need I say more?

    I was very careful however; we can still eat beans and cornbread for only about another 4 months and then maybe we can graduate to meat.....

    So I have really slowed down on stash building. I still look for good sales and still have to buy batting every once in awhile.

    I still fall victim to quilting magazines, however...

  23. #23
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    I have tons of fabric because I sew valances and sell them on Ebay. So I buy what I like.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    796
    I have a stash and a REALLY bad habit !! I NEED fabric and yarn and thread and and and... I am a hyper type person and if I dont have something constructive to do with my hands I may unravel my skirt and then yours and then knit it back together in a different pattern or quietly snip a pc out of two or three shirts of unsuspecting folk too close to me in church or on an elevator and pc one for myself...You get the drift... it is just easier if I have stuff of my own. THEN with the money I save in court costs I can buy MORE fabric,and yarn and books and thread and and and

  25. #25
    1quilt_gma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by betlinsmom
    I have a stash and a REALLY bad habit !! I NEED fabric and yarn and thread and and and... I am a hyper type person and if I dont have something constructive to do with my hands I may unravel my skirt and then yours and then knit it back together in a different pattern or quietly snip a pc out of two or three shirts of unsuspecting folk too close to me in church or on an elevator and pc one for myself...You get the drift... it is just easier if I have stuff of my own. THEN with the money I save in court costs I can buy MORE fabric,and yarn and books and thread and and and
    Remind me to have some handy "throw down" pieces of stash for you to curb your appetite if ever we should meet!


    :P :wink: :lol:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.