Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why not use cotton/poly? >

Why not use cotton/poly?

Why not use cotton/poly?

Old 03-23-2017, 12:43 PM

The quilt on my machine right now has cotton/poly sashing because color is important to me and it matched the panel well. It is working up just fine. I think the person who pressed the first blocks used some steam and they look good.
In the quilt you have pictured, I would prefer the solids in cotton.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:47 PM

My first quilt before I found this board was a mix of anything and everything. I bought what I wanted and just small pieces I did stars then I learned they were hard to do. (it is my avitar)Umm really The only points I lost were when I pillow cased it. I did not have a clue there were quilt police or a right or wrong way of doing things I just did it! that quilt is just fine. I just smile if I see someone say oh no just cotton thread or just quilting cotton fabric. Umm I use what I have. seems to be working!! go for what you want to do it will be just fine
Old 03-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

Why not? There are many quilts on beds all over the country with blends, all polyester, all wool, all corderoy, and combinations of all. If you like the fabric use it.
My only ( rule I follow) is to make sure any fabrics I use will launder ok together. A cotton/ poly blend will launder just fine. No reason to not use it.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:16 PM

Back in the day, when we wore permanent pressed slacks with creased fronts, we would spray the poly fabric with vinegar to press it. That would make it hold a crease. Not the best smell, but no worse than the smell of the fabric.
I have inadvertently used cotton blend fabric in quilts, and I am still at large. No quilt police, no fines.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:52 PM

I never have a problem getting creases in poly/cotton, I use it for making my dresses. I am planning to make a quilt w/the scraps but I will probably only use p/c, because as others have said you do have to be careful of the iron temp, cotton needs a lot more heat than p/c.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:20 PM

I'm a bit of a 100% cotton snob. Just from personal experience, I don't mix cotton and poly. My wedding quilts from 1984 have seams that the poly thread cut through. If you've ever hemmed a pair of polyester dress pants with cotton thread, you'll have to re-do it in about 4 months, because the poly wears away the cotton. After about 5 years of wear, my husbands poly/cotton under shirts will just have a mesh of poly, because the cotton gets rubbed away. I did use a poly/cotton for one of my son's baby quilts, and it really wore out unevenly. The poly/cotton was very thread-bare after about 3 years.

So, if you're making a quilt that will last a couple years, or go on a wall, then it won't matter. If you want the quilt to be an heirloom, only use 100% cotton fabric and thread.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

If you like it, you can certainly use it. I personally hate the stuff. It feels icky. After a while some of it pills... little teeny tiny nylon-like pills. While quilting, it seems to shift around on the batting rather than "grab" the batting, so you have to deal with wrinkles trying to form. And then there's the iron... polyester melts so you can't iron it hot and get your piecing crisp and flat like you can with cotton.

I do like the look of gingham and don't understand WHY they can't seem to make it out of 100% cotton.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:29 PM

Love your quilt. I is just to cute.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:39 AM

How refreshing to see that there are quite a few others who use --and like!--poly/cotton blends. I like the sheen and the durability of them. They are more color-fast and easy care, too. Perhaps the thing to watch for is how much poly is in the piece so it isn't "slick". Those seem to pill worse. If you utilize shirts in scrappy, almost all of those are blends and they don't pill. To the one who commented on the Gingham Goose patterns--love those! I have a collection of my own plus my mother's that she used to make quilts for my children when they were little. Darling designs! My son had the one that is a train and it is well worn. He loved it to pieces--literally!
Old 03-24-2017, 05:54 AM

Good advice! Enjoy the process and don't stress over it.