Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent) >

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Old 02-28-2010, 12:31 PM

I also can feel everyone's pain. I found you have to watch as they ring up each and every item. Many of the salesclerks have no clue what they are doing. We have one man who works there that looks like he hasn't showered, shaved or done laundry in months. One day while waiting in line a clerk was asked a question and outright stated that she has never sewn in her life. I helped her to find what she was looking for. I applied for a job there when I lost my job this summer and didn't even get an interview. I have 13 years of experience in a fabric store and had my own seamstress business for many years. Go figure. And how true about not giving you an inch more than you asked for. Yesterday she actually cut off 2" from the piece I was buying. Didn't even ask if I wanted the whole piece but then would have charged me 1/2 price for the extra 2 inches. Just leave it on for goodness sake. The nearest quilt shop to me is 45 mins away. They are great and always allow you an extra inch just in case. Love their fabrics but it just isn't convenient, especially in the bad weather we have been experiencing. Thanks for listening. It's good to know that it seems to be a universal problem.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Daisygirl
I guess I will have to try eBay for the blades, I never would have thought of that.
Thanks for all of the replies, I am glad I am not the only one with problems.
Definitely consider Ebay for the blades. I have gotten both the 28mm and the 45mm (both from the same gentleman) for a little over $1 a blade (I think I got them in lots of 20 or 30) and they work well and I feel they last as long as the ones I pay top dollar for at stores like joanns. I do know that one brand of cutter has a little notch thing where the blade fits so you have to make sure that the blades fit, but the ones I got have the slot for the notched ones, but work on the ones without just fine also. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:34 PM

There are two JoAnne's within easy driving distance. One is a larger very nice store. The workers are knowledgable and helpful. The other store is small and the workers could not care less. I found an item on clearence that I took to the register. It rang up 5.97. I told her it was marked 2.97. And I quote "Geeze, I guess I will have to check it and do an override". DH, "Geeze, I guess you will".
Old 02-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a Joannes close here and I think I'm glad I don't.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:05 PM

Ok, I'm going to say these things, and please, understand my DH would divorce me if I ever suggested working for Joannes again--just so you know where I am coming from---

(I am not naming names)

Do you walk into your grocery store with a coupon that states .50 cents off one 32 oz bottle of Ketchup, (which expired yesterday) and expect the store to let you buy 3 bottles?

Do you go to the deli and ask for 1.5 lbs of Swiss cheese to be cut, and expect them to give you 1.625 lbs for the same price?

I am totally not defending their poor service, and bad attitudes, but if you see a guy stocking kidney beans in the vegetable aisle, do you expect him to be able to give you a recipe for chili?

I just sometimes don't understand the way people think. Cashiering and sales help---its NOT skilled labor, and its not paid like it's skilled labor. In order for the stores to give you the lowest prices, they have no choice but to often hire people who have no interest/knowledge in the items they sell.

Is this smart? No. But unless you are willing to pay MORE for things, its not really going to change for the better.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by mrspete
Oh Lordy, you should see the menagerie that tend our JoAnn's. I love the comfort of a middle aged lady with experience in both sewing and the material. We have a staff of punk rockers! I cannot be convinced they have ever 'loaded a needle'. That's what one called it. I was shopping for thread and he/she said, "when I load my needles".........la la la la. I'm horrible aren't I? Guess I'd better get back to my sewing, I have some needles that need loading. chuckle
"My" Joann's has all middle-aged experienced ladies. Sure hope that doesn't change. Shopping is no picnic at the best of times, but the JA employees here are o.k. and some even better than o.k.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:43 PM

I understand where you are coming from, but I do expect the help to have some kind of knowlegde about the products they are selling. I also expect them to have some knowledge of the sales that are going on at the time.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Ok, I'm going to say these things, and please, understand my DH would divorce me if I ever suggested working for Joannes again--just so you know where I am coming from---

(I am not naming names)

Do you walk into your grocery store with a coupon that states .50 cents off one 32 oz bottle of Ketchup, (which expired yesterday) and expect the store to let you buy 3 bottles?

Do you go to the deli and ask for 1.5 lbs of Swiss cheese to be cut, and expect them to give you 1.625 lbs for the same price?

I am totally not defending their poor service, and bad attitudes, but if you see a guy stocking kidney beans in the vegetable aisle, do you expect him to be able to give you a recipe for chili?

I just sometimes don't understand the way people think. Cashiering and sales help---its NOT skilled labor, and its not paid like it's skilled labor. In order for the stores to give you the lowest prices, they have no choice but to often hire people who have no interest/knowledge in the items they sell.

Is this smart? No. But unless you are willing to pay MORE for things, its not really going to change for the better.
I disagree with everything you say here. There is a huge percentage of the population needing jobs right now ... persons who would be happy to have the jobs that the doofuses in the stores currently have. The doofuses who do not know or care about the products the store sells, where or even if they are located in the store. They have had no obvious job training, have no respect for others, and apparently had no training in manners ... ever. If they are making 3 cents an hours, they are being overpaid! Furthermore, (a) it is not the consumer who decides the pricing, (b) high-end stores employ about the same % of nitwits as do the bargain stores, and (c) if Management would get off its fat, complacent ass and ensure that their employees are properly trained or replaced, the world of shopping would be a much better place.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:16 PM

I love my JoAnn girls!! One has been there as long as I've been going there and that's atleast 15 yrs. I've noticed that usually the ones behind the cutting center are more knowledgable especially towards quilters needs. Any problem that I've ever had trying to locate something they have always assisted me in finding. I even had one associate help me search out some fabric for me that I was trying to put into a quilt.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:17 PM

I used to feel jealous of everyone who had a JoAnn's near them. After reading all the threads about them, I am now glad we don't. :-)