Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent) >

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Old 02-28-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Ok, I'm going to say these things, and please, understand my DH would divorce me if I ever suggested working for Joannes again--just so you know where I am coming from---

(I am not naming names)

Do you walk into your grocery store with a coupon that states .50 cents off one 32 oz bottle of Ketchup, (which expired yesterday) and expect the store to let you buy 3 bottles?

Do you go to the deli and ask for 1.5 lbs of Swiss cheese to be cut, and expect them to give you 1.625 lbs for the same price?

I am totally not defending their poor service, and bad attitudes, but if you see a guy stocking kidney beans in the vegetable aisle, do you expect him to be able to give you a recipe for chili?

I just sometimes don't understand the way people think. Cashiering and sales help---its NOT skilled labor, and its not paid like it's skilled labor. In order for the stores to give you the lowest prices, they have no choice but to often hire people who have no interest/knowledge in the items they sell.

Is this smart? No. But unless you are willing to pay MORE for things, its not really going to change for the better.
I disagree with everything you say here. There is a huge percentage of the population needing jobs right now ... persons who would be happy to have the jobs that the doofuses in the stores currently have. The doofuses who do not know or care about the products the store sells, where or even if they are located in the store. They have had no obvious job training, have no respect for others, and apparently had no training in manners ... ever. If they are making 3 cents an hours, they are being overpaid! Furthermore, (a) it is not the consumer who decides the pricing, (b) high-end stores employ about the same % of nitwits as do the bargain stores, and (c) if Management would get off its fat, complacent ass and ensure that their employees are properly trained or replaced, the world of shopping would be a much better place.

So, if you say you disagree with everything I've stated, you AGREE that if you bring an expired coupon to a store you DESERVE to get as many of the items as you want with the one expired coupon? You agree you should receive more cheese than you paid for? (this reference was in response to someone saying that the cutter at joanns only cuts 36 inches when you ask for a yard... how many FREE inches should the cutter give you? and WHO pays for this FREE yardage? (--and if they are being shorted, thats wrong too...and should be corrected....)

Does your stock boy know how to cook all the food he stocks at your grocery store??? because very often I would love to ask the guy in the aisle HOW to cook something, because after all, he works there, right?? and if he works in produce, too bad for him if I ask him how to cook a roast...after all, he works there!! should he lose his job?

I think I also stated that its not right or smart that this is the way that the stores hire, but the fact of the matter is, people want the CHEAPEST price...so what you GET for the cheapest price is very little service!!
Old 02-28-2010, 03:33 PM

I'm sure I don't understand what you're on about regarding expired coupons. Nobody honors expired coupons or expects them to be honored. Nobody expects or gets more than the coupon specifies. I thought the subject was poor customer service, not misunderstandings about coupons. Where do ridiculous imaginary requests about Chili recipes, etc., come into the equation? What ARE you talking about?

Furthermore, just because the customers WANT the cheapest price does not mean they want or should get it at the expense of customer service.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:38 PM

(this reference was in response to someone saying that the cutter at joanns only cuts 36 inches when you ask for a yard... how many FREE inches should the cutter give you? and WHO pays for this FREE yardage? (--and if they are being shorted, thats wrong too...and should be corrected....)
Actually, usually you get an inch or two over to allow for the straight of grain, I haven't been to a fabric store yet that every cut was straight. They don't measure and straighten like we do when we sew. They lay it down cut it with a pair scissors or really fast with a rotary cutter, not exact, even with that slit in their table. I bet if I measured every piece of yardage in my stash 99% of it would be 1-2" over a yard. Not asking for enough to make a quilt, just an inch or two for possible previous cutting errors.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:40 PM

I'm sure I don't understand what you're on about regarding expired coupons. Nobody honors expired coupons or expects them to be honored. Nobody expects or gets more than the coupon specifies. I thought the subject was poor customer service, not misunderstandings about coupons. Where do ridiculous imaginary requests about Chili recipes, etc., come into the equation? What ARE you talking about?
Have you read the responses to the OP?? the second or third stated----I avoid JoAnne's because I hate their coupons. There is always some problem with them -- good for only one item, the coupon has expired, or as in your case cashier misapplication of the coupon. I realized I was spending *more* money, not less, when I went to JoAnne's with coupons so I just stopped going.

the people below this poster started complaining that their sales help doesn't know how to sew...

So, now you know...
Old 02-28-2010, 03:45 PM

Have you read the responses to the OP?? the second or third stated----I avoid JoAnne's because I hate their coupons. There is always some problem with them -- good for only one item, the coupon has expired, or as in your case cashier misapplication of the coupon. I realized I was spending *more* money, not less, when I went to JoAnne's with coupons so I just stopped going.

the people below this poster started complaining that their sales help doesn't know how to sew...

So, now you know...
Yes, I read it, there was 1. I chalked it up to a slight boo-boo on her part, but you took it and ran with it ... all over the grocery store and deli department.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg
(this reference was in response to someone saying that the cutter at joanns only cuts 36 inches when you ask for a yard... how many FREE inches should the cutter give you? and WHO pays for this FREE yardage? (--and if they are being shorted, thats wrong too...and should be corrected....)
Actually, usually you get an inch or two over to allow for the straight of grain, I haven't been to a fabric store yet that every cut was straight. They don't measure and straighten like we do when we sew. They lay it down cut it with a pair scissors or really fast with a rotary cutter, not exact, even with that slit in their table. I bet if I measured every piece of yardage in my stash 99% of it would be 1-2" over a yard. Not asking for enough to make a quilt, just an inch or two for possible previous cutting errors.
I know that with some homespun fabrics that I've bought that this is really an issue because the grain on those can be off like 3-4". So I actually end up with about 6" or so of unusable fabric in total from both ends.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
I know that with some homespun fabrics that I've bought that this is really an issue because the grain on those can be off like 3-4". So I actually end up with about 6" or so of unusable fabric in total from both ends.
That is the problem, and if they have it at even the slightest angle when they cut, the whole bolt could be off, because each cut will be just a little off.

I am fortunate enough to always be able to buy a little extra, which I always do. But I know many don't have that option, and if you lose a couple of inches of that yard you needed, they can't just go get more.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I am so sorry to hear about our problems with JoAnn's...the service/knowledge seems to vary so much from store to store...
there are two joanns 'near' me. one is 10 minutes away. 1 is 40 minutes away. the close one i wouldn't let my dog shop there. that's the one that told me they don't even have a bathroom and the place is filthy. the other one came from heaven. the clearance table is terrific and they let you use the coupons there too. the manager is just a good manager. AND they have a ladies' and mens' room.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:13 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love JoAnn's for their notions, and their Super stores are great. You can't beat the prices if you can use the coupons.

I still might buy their fabric for a backing for myself, but will really wash the heck out of it and take my hand quilting needle with me to see how it needles.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:19 PM

there are two joanns 'near' me. one is 10 minutes away. 1 is 40 minutes away. the close one i wouldn't let my dog shop there. that's the one that told me they don't even have a bathroom and the place is filthy. the other one came from heaven. the clearance table is terrific and they let you use the coupons there too. the manager is just a good manager. AND they have a ladies' and mens' room.
YES!! Good management! That's what I keep harping on and on about. It's absolutely the #1 priority. I've never been unhappy with the Joann's where I shop, but some time within the last couple of years, the guy manager disappeared. One of the women who's been there for years must have taken his place as manager, because I haven't seen any newbies there; the service is even better than it was.