Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Sew At Angle

When you are sewing strips together for binding, why sew the things together at a 45 degree angle instead of straight? Seems to me that you would save material if you sewed it straight.

ReRe

Quote Originally Posted by ReRe
    When you are sewing strips together for binding, why sew the things together at a 45 degree angle instead of straight? Seems to me that you would save material if you sewed it straight.

ReRe
    My understanding is that when your fold the strips over there is too much bulk if you sew them together straight.

So that when you fold it over you don't have to deal with so much bulk. If you sew it straight then you have 4 layers of fabric at the seam. When you sew it on, and fold it over you'd have 12. It would make a big bump in your binding.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The way I figure is...if you see someone who has cut it straight,then they are beginner quilters. If she did it on a 45 then she is an advanced quilter. LOL. I think is it prettier and also agree about seam bulk. You don't want to notice where you sew it together. Later Gator

Also, as it was explained in a class I took, sewing at an angle on both binding and when having to piece borders is preferable because the eye is more drawn to the straight seam lines, whereas the angled ones are less noticeable.

It is also a stronger seam.

Guess I'm a beginner who has been quilting for 20 years then, cause I always cut it straight. Just my preference. :?

I like to cut it at an angle. I don't like the bulk. I also like to do the endless seams on the binding. So I have no bulk all the way around the quilt.

I do whatever the fabric tells me to do. Some patterns really do not do well with a slanted seam and others do not do well with an angled seam. (And, sometimes I am so close on the amount of fabric I have that I have to use a straight seam in order for it to work!)

In general, I will use the slanted seam because it looks a little better usually.

As far as bulk is concerned, I press my joining seams open and I have never had an issue with bulk.

That being said, I make quilts to be used and loved - not to look at. That would make a difference, too.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    Guess I'm a beginner who has been quilting for 20 years then, cause I always cut it straight. Just my preference. :?
    Ditto.

:thumbup: And I don't notice any bulk.

If I cut my binding on the bias, I attach them in a angle. I only do this if there are curves around the edges. It makes it easier to ago around the curves. If the sides are straight lines I cut my binding straight and sew the bindings on straight lines.

What little you save is not worth it. See above for reasons.

there's a difference of about 1 1/2 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Daughter
    Also, as it was explained in a class I took, sewing at an angle on both binding and when having to piece borders is preferable because the eye is more drawn to the straight seam lines, whereas the angled ones are less noticeable.
    agree! :-D

I prefer on the angle for the obvious reasons above but I also like the looks of it. Just me.

Blog Entries
    I think the angle seam disappears and it does reduce the bulk. If I a working with a straight stripe however I use a straight seam because I can't get the stripes to match up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY
    Ha-ha--me too!! Maybe it's a NY thing? I never saw the benefits of the angle cut. And I notice them a lot more when I see quilts with them--to me--my opinion only--the straight seam is way less noticeable.

Most of the time I'll cut the angle, but if I'm sewing a stripe I'll sew a straight seam and press it open. My stripes look way off kilter if I do the angle. There is that famous saying of no quilting police!

I just do it because it seems less noticeable.

Blog Entries
    Straight seams in binding always draws the eye right to it if it is a solid color.

what is an endless seam?

The angled seam is supposedly stronger in the long run, it does look better and it's one of the first things a judge looks at in a quilt competition.

My motto is, if you have enough fabric, do the angle, if not sew it straight.

Blog Entries
    oh, yes. let's argue now about angled or straight seams to join binding strips. i've been soooooo bored. :roll:

"argue" is too strong a word. my very sincere apologies.

it just floors me sometimes the way we pass on the opinions of "experts" as though they were absolute and unquestionable. after all, the only reason they get to call themselves experts is that we have agreed to also call them experts. :lol:

our technique, fabric, tool and supply choices should be based on the results of our own experiments. no one thing works for everybody. not even Elvis. :lol:

i started sewing mine at an angle just to prove to myself i could do it and keep the strips straight. i kept doing it because i decided i preferred the way it looked.

try it each way and then do what you prefer. unless you enter it into a contest who cares what others think? even then i wouldn't actually care. i'd just do "whatever" to satisfy the judges.

I cut mine on the angle, as that was how I was taught, never thought about doing it any other way

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast