Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why is yellow not a popular color for quilts? >

Why is yellow not a popular color for quilts?

Why is yellow not a popular color for quilts?

Old 06-03-2011, 04:08 AM

My favorite quilt I made is mostly all yellow. I myself is a lover of yellow, blue and white. I then like red and white.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by smagruder
I use a lot of yellow.... have lots of quilts... just haven't posted any quilts on here....I don't know how to get them posted from they are on my computer. I am not very computer literate.
To post your pictures with a topic you are starting, you’ll see at the bottom of the page (under Send) “File Attachments.” Select “Browse” and add your picture(s.) All the way to the left of “Browse” is a spot where you can type in a Heading to go with your picture if you like. Don’t preview your pictures or they will disappear. Hope this makes sense.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

Interesting topic! I don't seem to use a lot of yellow but I love the color. Hmmm......??
We painted our bedroom yellow and what a nightmare!! It was supposed to be soft but on the walls looked like lemons. Did it over and finally got a nice soft shade.
Much easier to work with yellow in fabric in my opinion LOL
As someone else posted a lot goes with it too.
I agree it's a happy color! :D
Old 06-03-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
Yellow is my favorite color, so I use it alot. I really like blue and yellow together.
Me too!!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 AM

I don't know why I don't use much yellow. It is a nice bright color and I love brights. I always seem to go to the purples, pinks and teals. I use some though. Yellow just has never been a favorite of mine. My sister uses yellow everywhere
Old 06-03-2011, 05:09 AM

As Sadiemae said I also saw in a quilt book that said yellow gets lost in a quilt.I use a little but not much in my quilts.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:14 AM

Yellow is my favorite color as it is my DH. My sewing room is painted yellow..it is so bright and cheery. My first quilt was also a lot of yellow.
I think a lot of people are afraid of yellow. I know it sounds crazy..but so true. I owned a flower shop for 15 years..and I can't count how many times people would say "don't put any yellow in it" Yellow tucked in makes the other colors pop! It does the same for quilts also..but used in the right setting.
Peace and blessings,
Old 06-03-2011, 05:25 AM

Yellow is not my favorite by a long shot, but it looks great in quilts. You all are right - it makes the quilt pop. I tried using yellow in a quilt of mine and I had to remove it. Maybe it was the hue, maybe it was the pattern, maybe it was TOO much yellow.

Bottom line is: I have no idea how to use yellow in a quilt. The quilt I'm making now is bright with very pretty fabrics, but it lacks a certain pizazz, which is probably yellow.

Show me your quilts!!! Help me like yellow!!! Overwhelm me with your beautiful YELLOW quilts!!! Post! Post! Post!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:26 AM

yellow is my favorite colors, I love all of the primary colors.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 AM

I have never made an all yellow quilt. but I like some yellow in most of my quilts. adds a little pop here and there. but there is nothing wrong with yellow. It is a hard color for people to wear. it looks better on dark skin people that pale skin. go for it.