Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will fabric prices go up higher? >

Will fabric prices go up higher?

Will fabric prices go up higher?

Old 04-12-2014, 05:53 AM

trolley, you speak the truth.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Just look for the deals. if you subscribe to JoAnn's and Hancock's an few other places you'll get coupons in the mail and that will help a lot.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Regardless of how high they go, unless the fabric is something that jumps into my cart, I shop the sales. I once had the opportunity to shop with a dear quilting friend, who didn't mind driving. She discovered a shop that was going out of business with the most gorgeous batiks I have ever seen, 1/2 price, so I "stocked" up with batiks to finish the Boston Commons quilt I want to make (still haven't had the chance to start that one though), we shopped the clearance tables and I think we hit the jackpot when one quilt shop was discontinuing their regular fabric for $3.00/yard, and I was thrilled. Now have I used all those fabrics, not yet, but I am making a dent, and one wonderful fabric decided that it didn't want to be made into backing, so it became the top with the gorgeous mauve and lime green hydrangea;, done in Jacob's Ladder and made over $2,000 at my church's annual Holiday Fair. Sometimes fabric has to age, like fine wine. LOL.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:24 AM

Quilt shops has gotten to expesnsive for me on a fixed incomebut I have a large stash as I always bought when I was working so am thankful for that right now I only buy what I need to finish a project and yes I do believe it will continue to go up as the shop owners has large overhead prices with utilities etc. plus all the fabric designers out there to many middle men and in our are we are seeing lots of shops go out of business young people raising families can no longer afford fabric and when I raided mine was cheaper to make clothes than buy them but not true anymore
Old 04-12-2014, 08:01 AM

Default Will fabric prices go up higher?

Originally Posted by Littlebearquiltingboard View Post
What is the average price of fabric in the US? In the UK the average price for the latest quilting fabric is £3.50 for a fat quarter, £14 per metre, I've just run that through the currency converter and it works out at just over $23.
There are still some bargains to be had online. I shop around and have found some FQ's for £1.99. Be careful though that they are reputable manufactures. I have been caught out on ebay with inferior fabric, so always make sure it is a brand name.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:18 AM

And remember, our forefathers did NOT buy their material at LQS, there were not any. We have one here and at 11-14 a yard I cannot afford to buy there. You can get good material other places, WM (one of few places to get material around here) has some, you just have to check each peice to see what it feels like and what it is. I also shop on line and when I go 25 miles south to Dr. we will go to Jo-ann's. Again, you have to check quality, some is good, some is not. And at this point if I buy any more I will have to move,
Old 04-12-2014, 09:03 AM

The price of everything is going up faster than peoples' income, and you can be sure that once the drought is over and cottom is plentiful again, the price will never come down. Very annoying. I will probably never need another new tool to use, so I will save money on that.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:06 AM

I'm finding that fabric prices are really going up here in Wisconsin too!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:10 AM

I made a pretty quilt using Exclusively Quilter's Packed Tuxedo Cats for one of my nieces, and now my other niece wants one too. Do any of you know how I can buy more of this fabric? I tried their website but they only sell to retailers. My local quilt shop (where I bought this fabric before)has closed. Any thoughts
Old 04-12-2014, 11:00 AM

I was watching a Quilt in a Day episode a few days ago and Eleanor was showing depression fabric prices. they worked out to about half an hour's income at minimum wage. You can buy decent quality solid fabric today for about the same rate, a half hour of minimum wage labor. Prints may run a bit more. Careful shopping brings the price down some. Over the long term it doesn't matter what the numbers are, it's how much it works out to as a percentage of wages. As fuel (energy) prices go up, the cost of everything else goes up as well, usually with wages being last in line.
I haven't bought there yet but I was at Thousands of Bolts' website looking just a few minutes ago and batiks were averaging around $7.00 a yard there. Not a bad price IMO. I didn't check other types of fabric, it's not what I'm after right now.
Rodney