Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will this look good?  How would you quilt this? >

Will this look good? How would you quilt this?

Will this look good? How would you quilt this?

Old 02-07-2014, 06:07 AM

Are you doing the quilting yourself? As a longarmer you need to think of more modern designs for this quilt. Custom quilting isn't always necessary to get a good look. You need something to soften it up but not look fussy. Look at the pantograph patterns at digitechpatterns.com. Check out "Cool Beans"; "Modern Squares" or maybe even "Circuit Path" As long as they aren't quilted too tightly and the thread blends well they will just add texture to you quilt without taking away from your beautiful piecing.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Are you FMQ on a domestic or log arm machine? Yes, the black is the negative space. Angela does a lot of ruler work on blocks but I don't know if you can do that. If you can, a diamond shape would be nice in each of the 4 patch patches.
If you are looking for a single FMQ design for each blocks, I might try the Square Flower design for http://www.theinboxjaunt.com/ She has in in a 6 inch square but you could downsize it to 4 inch for each of the 4 patches or upsize it to do the whole block. I also like to do an orange peel design using the sides of 4 patch squares and that would look good also I think.
You can find all her designs by clicking on the quilt/tutorial button at the top under the title and then click on the quilting tutorial (motifs) section.
Thanks so much for the link to Lori Kennedy - I love her designs. She makes them look easy and I am now off to practice FMQ with them in hand. Wow!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 AM

I was fortunate enough to take a class with Cindy Needham and she dropped many pearls of wisdom. One that I remembered is that if you have a geometric (squares, rectangles, triangles) block consider using a curved quilting pattern. Flowers as mentioned above might be a good choice. Cindy used a lot of stencils. You also might consider going to Leah Day's website. She has 400 designs broken up into beginner intermediate etc. One beginner design that might work for your block is sunflower. http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...sunflower.html but I only spent 3 minutes looking and if you spent more time you could probably find exactly what you're looking for.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:22 AM

I took that Angela Waters class and loved it too. You could have a lot of fun using her designs. I used them in a baby name quilt I made. Go for it!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:49 AM
DJ

It's very pretty. Lots of good quilting advice already given.

Thanks for the FMQ links!