Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will it look like I'm copying? >

Will it look like I'm copying?

Will it look like I'm copying?

Old 10-12-2014, 12:02 PM

Don't feel guilty about using the same colors as the sample. When you order a kit from one of the quilt books such as Connecting Threads or Keepsake Quilts, you almost always get the same colors as shown in the book. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:09 PM

This is said with much love - you are being silly.

You saw a quilt and fell in love with it to the point that you PAID for a class and are willing to travel TWO AND A HALF HOURS to take that class. You can make that quilt any dang color you want!

About 6 months ago, I made a shop sample for my LQS. The LQS owner made about 50 kits with the same fabric I used. She sold out of the kits and had to make more. She sold out of those kits and the pattern, and is currently waiting for her second batch of patterns and third batch of fabric bolts to arrive so she can make more kits. Do I feel insulted that her customers are "copying" my quilt? Heck no! I'm very flattered and gratified that something I did has helped increase her sales. I know you didn't purchase a kit, but you purchased a class and I'd be willing to bet you'll spend more money while you're there. That's a good return on her investment of hanging that quilt. If she didn't want anyone to copy it, she wouldn't have hung it where everyone can see it.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:10 PM

The red will be beautiful and you can already see the finished quilt.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:14 PM

Use the colors you want, regardless of what color the sample is. It's your quilt.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
This is said with much love - you are being silly.

You saw a quilt and fell in love with it to the point that you PAID for a class and are willing to travel TWO AND A HALF HOURS to take that class. You can make that quilt any dang color you want!

About 6 months ago, I made a shop sample for my LQS. The LQS owner made about 50 kits with the same fabric I used. She sold out of the kits and had to make more. She sold out of those kits and the pattern, and is currently waiting for her second batch of patterns and third batch of fabric bolts to arrive so she can make more kits. Do I feel insulted that her customers are "copying" my quilt? Heck no! I'm very flattered and gratified that something I did has helped increase her sales. I know you didn't purchase a kit, but you purchased a class and I'd be willing to bet you'll spend more money while you're there. That's a good return on her investment of hanging that quilt. If she didn't want anyone to copy it, she wouldn't have hung it where everyone can see it.
Wow! I would love to see a picture of your quilt.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Could the class be for the new Debbie Maddy Hunter Star Simplified pattern? No Y seams. You will love her pattern.

I have taken several workshop from her and she is an excellent instructor. Her patterns are so easy to cut and sew.

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...3&Item_ID=1244
Old 10-12-2014, 12:46 PM

I echo what everyone else has said. I was so inspired by the pattern AND fabric line in my instructor's shop that I "copied" her in regard to the line but mixed up the placement to be unique. She treated me like a class pet because she adored my fabric choices! Lol. The fact that you're traveling 2.5 hours to take the class is nothing short of shop loyalty so how could be possibly feel anything but glad for your patronage? Is the class several weeks long or an all day thing?
Old 10-13-2014, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

I'm with the others, make the quilt in the colors you want. I bet there will be others making the red and white.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:46 AM

Oh yes, use the red & white! (Or I like the red & grey idea, too) As others have said, the instructor is most likely going to be flattered, if she even notices.

Originally Posted by quiltjoey View Post
One of our LQSs has a rule that, "if you take their class, you have to buy fabric from them, not bring you own".
Yuck! That's a policy that would make me not take any classes there. One of the LQS here has tons of classes, and they offer a "student discount" of 10% off on purchases you make on class day (even if they're not class-related) to encourage you to buy their fabric & rulers and things, but if they started *requiring* it, I'd be outta there. Even if they are less than a mile from my house.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by quiltjoey View Post
One of our LQSs has a rule that, "if you take their class, you have to buy fabric from them, not bring you own".
Well I have never heard that one before! I would definitely not be taking any classes. Are their classes free?