Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Windfalls >

Windfalls

Windfalls

Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 PM

It took me years of searching but I had two great finds in two weeks.
I was at a thrift store just as they were putting out a hand pieced, hand quilted quilt and two hand pieced, hand quilted throws, and I snached (really snached) them up quickly almost before she could put them on the rack. I got all three for $25.00 because it was senior day.
The other was also an estate sale. I got one hand pieced, hand quilted, quilt that only needed to have the binding put on, 7 other hand pieced quilt tops (unfinished) and the matching material to put the border on them, a basket of material, a box of yo-yos and the basket for $50.00.
As I said, it has taken me many years of yard sales and good wills before I found these. It will probably be many more years before I find anything else but I will continue to look before the find is worth it.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by crawford1219
I went to Michael's today because so many on this board have said they have found fantastic buys on fat quarters that are on clearance-they had them for 99 cents each rather than bundles of them for 49 cents like others have found. I was somewhat dissapointed even though that is a good price.
And I went to my local Michael's hoping for the wonderful .49 deal and had to pay $6.99 for the bundle! :(
Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 AM

Finding 'treasures' does take time and luck. Go with an open mind and the object of having fun...that's what it's all about for me.

My luck is pretty good at finding 'treasures' - but I barred myself from stopping at any places for a while.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:34 AM

I'll confess, it happens to me a LOT but then I'm going to garage sales, estate sales, Goodwill, auctions a LOT too. Does it happen everytime? NOoooooo. Probably 1 out of 10 -12 times. And is it always for me? A big nope on that too. Last weekend dd and I hit a few garage sales and I loaded up on well over $150 worth of cake making pans, wedding cake stairs, columns and the round things that you put the cakes on for $13.50. I don't decorate cakes, it was all for one of the ladies that I go to church with. Just keep looking, get there right when the sales open, go to Goodwill at least 2x a month. Spend time, look around.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:16 AM

Well, I will admit that I just bought a Featherweight on eBay for $191.50 because the guy couldn't spell. I was bidding against only one other party. He messed up the spelling Featherweight so bad that no one would ever find it by searching. I actually found it off site in alink at a featherweight dealer.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dee Dee
I am so glad for those of you who have found fantastic buys from close out stores, Goodwills and gifts. Am I the only one who just doesn't stumble upon those extraordinary buys or gifts?
I don't usually but I received two boxes from a lady in Michigan whose mother lives next to me. Other than that I haven't found a good win fall
Old 07-14-2010, 04:20 AM

I should add that I check our local Craigslist daily and sometimes (if I have something in mind that I'm looking for) I'll check 2x a day. I check Art & Crafts, General, Free, Garage Sale, Sporting(looking for a pool table for BIL) and Household.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:24 AM

I've searched high & low for "bargains" to NO avail, but that still doesn't deter me. I did go to our local Goodwill outlet store & find a Kenmore in a cabinet that has
two-drawers for storage & opens up to 76" for a mere $10. It sews like a dream. I wanted it for the cabinet to put another one of my machines in, but as long as this one works, I'll use it as is.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:56 AM

It is fun to see what others have found/received. But I generally do not find the bargains others speak of. You are not alone.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 AM

I find a find maybe... 1 out of 50.... with thrift stores they have it ALL AT ONCE! and you have to look at the start of the week, in the morning, or it will be gone by the time you get there!