Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Windfalls >

Windfalls

Windfalls

Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 AM

DH & I are always looking to buy things second-hand...thrift stores, antique stores, yard sales, etc. I think because we are out there looking, we come across some great bargains. Not every time, mind you...but because we are in the "bargains area" we tend to find them. If someone only shops at retail stores they may not tend to find the really good deals...not to say that there aren't good deals in stores occasionally...

In the second-hand market, you really do have to look through a lot of haystacks to find the needle. But the hunt is what we enjoy!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:38 AM

I have some wonderful friends. One looks through Craigs List and FreeCycle for me. The other goes to Thrift Shops and Garage Sales.

Between the 2 of them, I am kept supplied for almost all my charity quilting and some "vintage sewing". Batting is hard to find here in NJ, when shopping the Thrifts/Garage Sales, though.

Susan
Old 07-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Nope! Never have been lucky enough to have something like that come my way! I my be in line tho. I was at a Gospel Meeting a ways from home and one of the ladies that I had met before saw a quilting magazine in my car and asked if I quilted. When I said yes she told me that her aunt had passed and she had all kinds of hoops, fabric, etc. and would I be intereste in them. Well, you can just guess what I said. She took my number and said she will call me. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:39 PM

Okay, I kinda think I might have just gotten one. My husband has been wanting a bike rack for the back of our vehicles. One that will hold at least two bikes. I just bought one at Goodwill that will hold three and still has the original price tag of $94.99 on it. Goodwill's price was $4.96 but since this is Wednesday and I'm over 55 I got 25% off so if I figured right it was $3.74. A bargain is a bargain even if it isn't about quilting, right?

I had a friend that said she never got bargains. BUT, if she wanted something she went out right then and bought it. DH has been wanting this bike rack for at least 2 months, we just waited until we found one for the right price. He was actually waiting for them to go on sale this fall. Half of finding bargains is being in the right place at the right time. The other half is being will to wait for the "right time" to happen.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 PM

did you know that you can "go" to auctions at shopgoodwill.com and hunt for great deals on not only lots of sewing machines but also fabric...they show pics...I am currently bidding on 3 different lots of cotton...one even gives how much there is of each :thumbup:
Old 07-14-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shiloh
It takes time and patience. I am getting too long in the tooth to spend a lot of time "hunting" -- work all week, see grandkids, have husband, home and, of course sewing. You need time and energy to find the deals. I'm short on both counts.
Ditto!!! Who's got the time? Not me!!! :?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by New Quilter
did you know that you can "go" to auctions at shopgoodwill.com and hunt for great deals on not only lots of sewing machines but also fabric...they show pics...I am currently bidding on 3 different lots of cotton...one even gives how much there is of each :thumbup:
I love browsing this site but be careful of the shipping costs. Sometimes it is way more than I want to pay. I bought a vintage button holer for $5 and the shipping was $14. :thumbdown:
Old 07-14-2010, 01:52 PM

Those shipping charges are the first thing I check before I even bid...lol... :thumbup:
Old 07-14-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready

I had a friend that said she never got bargains. BUT, if she wanted something she went out right then and bought it. DH has been wanting this bike rack for at least 2 months, we just waited until we found one for the right price. He was actually waiting for them to go on sale this fall. Half of finding bargains is being in the right place at the right time. The other half is being will to wait for the "right time" to happen.
I think that this is the key. We have a running list of things we are looking for...that means that both of us can be looking out for something.

That's like waiting for snow to fall before you start looking for a coat...
c'mon...you knew it was going to get cold in the winter...be prepared by thinking ahead. It saves a LOT of money.

The other way it saves money is that simply by waiting/putting off a purchase sometimes you find something better to fit the bill or you may decide that you don't need it afterall.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by RevPam
Well, I will admit that I just bought a Featherweight on eBay for $191.50 because the guy couldn't spell. I was bidding against only one other party. He messed up the spelling Featherweight so bad that no one would ever find it by searching. I actually found it off site in alink at a featherweight dealer.
Congratulations! That really is quite a find! My Mother-in-Law said she was ready to sell hers. Thought I would get a good price on it, but she charged me $200 and it is missing all the attachments!