Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wondering about what to do with all the too-small bed quilts >

Wondering about what to do with all the too-small bed quilts

Wondering about what to do with all the too-small bed quilts

Old 05-04-2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
you could remove the binding, or cut it off. then add either pieced or plain borders... whichever goes better . this could be added in a QAYG manner.
This is what I was going to suggest as well.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 PM

I would suggest adding a border as others have stated to the quilts that would look o.k. with an addition, perhaps add a flange of some color to corordinate with the new border and the quilt. Another suggestion that has also been posted is to use some netural color plain bedspread or king size sheet and lay the smaller quilt on top of that, perhaps add some type of border to this bedspread or sheet that might work with most of the quilts in color, or just use the sheet or bedspread. You could shange your decor as often as wanted this way.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:01 AM

I use the non bed quilts as couch quilts. I have a quilt rack in and another near my living room. We use the quilts daily....Germany is cold, it's still cold here. I also have one hanging over the stairwell. You can hang them with the wood clip hangers and switch them out. I personally have so many other designs I'm trying to get done I wouldn't want to take the time to motify my exsisting quilts, just me! Also could put one on the back of a large couch. You have lots of options!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:05 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try the coverlet with the quilt on top. If I don't like that i'm going to try the matching sheet/dust ruffle idea, because I've noticed several more 'modern'-style bedroom pictures using this idea.

If that doesn't work...well I don't know...I really do hate to do more sewing...but hmmm...maybe.

Thanks for all the tips. What a great bunch of people you are.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:04 PM

it just seems to me that the thing to do is to add additional border fabric making your quilts to fit your king sized bed. If you're starting with a twin size quilt, you can always fold it length-wise and use it as a sort of 'bed-runner' softly folding it to feature the pattern.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:18 AM

I like this idea, but not sure how it would work with a queen:
Attached Thumbnails image199.jpg  
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM

I would try to add borders. Another idea I liked was to go with the correct size simple bedspread and still use the queen ones on top. I know plain bedspreads are sometimes difficult to find. You might need to make a plain bedspread if unable to find one.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 PM

Ok...so I have had this very same problem. Replaced our old queen set with new and practically need a step ladder to get into bed. Yikes! This winter I made a new quilt for our bed...added border after border after border. It is huge! I absolutely LOVE the idea of a simple white coverlet under my beautiful quilts! What a terrific idea!