Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wondering about what to do with all the too-small bed quilts >

Wondering about what to do with all the too-small bed quilts

Wondering about what to do with all the too-small bed quilts

Old 05-04-2013, 08:44 AM

I have a king-size bed. My favorite quilt was the right color for the room, but was too small to use on the bed. I found that a queen-size sheet fit perfectly on the top of the bed. I then purchased enough fabric that coordinated with the sheet to make a skirt that fit from edge of queen-size sheet to the floor. I lay the quilt on top of that and it looks nice. The long bed skirt also allows me to store more stuff under the bed and no one knows it but me.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:56 AM

You have a lot of suggestions to consider. They are all great. I will use some of them myself. Thanks for posting question.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:19 PM

I haven't read all of the posts, so forgive me if this is a repeat. And no offense to anyone who posted this idea-but the last thing I would want to do is take apart an already finished quilt and add something to it. If they were made a few years back, you might have trouble matching the fabrics. And all the unsewing- not my favorite thing. I personally would find other uses in other rooms or do the solid comforter and lay the quilts on top of it idea. But ultimately the decision is yours.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 PM

I have some 3/4 bed size quilts (remember those?), some double bed quilts, and I have a queen-sized bed. Some of those quilts work with a queen sized bed and a coverlet, and some don't. I hate to leave them packed away, so I have added sleeves to the back, which can be any color and doesn't have to match the quilt. Then I have a "display wall" in the living room. I rotate my quilts onto this display, and it is constantly commented upon by guests because they very rarely see the same quilt twice hanging there, except for Christmas. I really, really like being able to change the "mood and style" of my living room simply by changing a quilt. You could do this in any room really. I just like it in the living room. I have also put up sheets, coverlets, and blankets to "back" a small quilt, and I've displayed up to 3 small quilts on my wall. Once I used a wide lace to frame a quilt, and another time, I added ribbons woven into long mats. You can get very creative with this changing display.

Sounds like you have a lot of options, and could do more than one! I've trolled for ideas here, and jotted several down. Thanks ever so much for asking the question!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:01 PM

I think we were the last couple on earth using a double bed
When we finally got a queen of course all my quilts were just too short all the way around.
What I did was rip sheets into 5 sections, and sew a section on the bottom of the quilts.
When I make the bed I have one quilt hang down nicely on one side and the second quilt hang down on the other side.

I'm too much of a lazy bum to fool with making them bigger
Old 05-04-2013, 01:02 PM

I like the idea of using a white or ecru coverlet then the quilt. Never thought of this idea. I love this Quilting Board!!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:23 PM

I have used a white mate lessee cover on my bed for years and for a quilt across the foot of the bed.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:49 PM

I would add a border or use them on the sofa while I watch TV!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:56 PM

I have a king size whole cloth quilt I bought at a department store. It borders all my quilts very well.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:52 PM

I love the ideas here, one thing I have done is to put a quilt rack in the bedroom because I made several quilts nap/lap size just because. So the smaller quilts look pretty on the rack & when I want to take a nap I just put one of those on me instead of messing up the whole bed.