Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wondering about what to do with all the too-small bed quilts >

Wondering about what to do with all the too-small bed quilts

Wondering about what to do with all the too-small bed quilts

Old 05-04-2013, 05:57 AM

You could lay the quilts ACROSS the top of the bed king size bed. This is what I have done. I bought a king size unquilted bedspread in ivory. (Walmart on line about $40.0 (also painted the walls ivory and have ivory curtains) The quilt tops I make about 70x90 so I lay them across the bed having a drop on 3 sides and quilt not coming up over the pillows. I try to have 8-10" drop which make the quilt big enough to cover us up. By having everthing ivory then I can change the color of the bedroom with different quilts whenever I want. Therefore using all the beautiful quilts I have made. Now our bedroom is lavender and last week it was pink. The bedspread hangs down similiar to dustruffle but you do not have to worry that matress is not covered by quilt. IMHO adding extra border to your already completed quilts is a lot of extra work when my idea is easy and fairly cheap!!!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

So many different ideas. Have you noticed though that many of the new mattresses do have deeper pockets? My current mattress has a 15 inch pocket, add the mattress pad and it can bring you to 18.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:33 AM

Matelasse coverlet to floor than "quilt for the Day" (week, month, season) across the bottom. Occasionally it does get cool and I just pull up the quilt.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:37 AM

You can put a plain cream or white comforter on your bed, then layer your pretty quilts on top. They look especially pretty if you put them on the diagonal and fold down the point. You can also use them as sofa quilts if the colors work for you.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by dray965 View Post
I have a standard king-sized bed now with a very deep pocket (20") and now my queen quilts are too small.

I also notice that most patterns for sale are either for baby, lap, full/queen-sized beds.

Do any of you have any ideas about how I can still use the ones I already have? Some of them are beautiful and I don't want to give or pack them away.

I had thought about layering, with the quilt on the top layer, but I don't know what to use underneath except a sheet...and that just won't do.

Any decorator ideas? I thought maybe some of you had the same problem and already solved it.

Thanks in advance,
Dray
I had curtains that matched one of my borders on a special quilt - took them apart and made a 10" gathered ruffle that I sewed just under the binding to lenthen the quilt. It looked like a dust ruffle and I used it for several years like that. Thought it looked nice and like it belonged.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:50 AM

I do this too. I got my coverlet set at Bed Bath Beyond using the 20% off coupon that comes regularly. This also works beaufiully for decorative "bed runners" for various holidays and you can give a room a new look easily. I've made coordinating throw pillow covers for most of the quilts too.

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I would use a white coverlet and either layer a quilt on top or fold the quilt at the foot of the bed. Here is a link to the type of coverlet I am thinking of:
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...31-131983870-2
Old 05-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Donnamarie View Post
How about a plain cotton bedspread first and lay your quilts on top. I do that sometimes and you will still be able to use them.
I would probably do something like this, too. The 'topper' look is fine with me.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 AM

I extended a too small quilt for a friend.

I just made a strip of fabric (quilted)
to each side and the bottom & top..

It worked well.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:00 AM

have you considered adding a border?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:32 AM

I like the ideas of just using a plain cotton bedspread under it, but what I have done for my sister is to make a gently gathered strip of fabric (hemmed, about 14"in width, and probably about 3 times the length around the outer edge of 3 sides of the quilt) and with the biggest stitch you have, just attach it to the under edge of the quilt on 3 sides. It then looks like a second bed skirt, yet can be very easily removed to go back to the original quilt.