Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wonky fabric panel.... >

Wonky fabric panel....

Wonky fabric panel....

Old 09-27-2010, 07:02 PM

I purchased a cute fabric panel from my LQS to quilt for my 3 year old grandson and when I opened the package and looked at the panel I could tell that it had been printed on the fabric crooked!! About the middle of the panel it took a slight "turn" to the right. It was a 1/4" off! The LQS had cut it correctly along the lines indicated by the manufacturer so it wasn't the fault of the LQS. I'm sure they didn't notice it when they cut it and packed it. It's very subtle but it definitely isn't straight.

Have any of you ever had a problem like this with a panel and what did you do to "correct" it?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 PM

Yes, I have had that happen more than once. I put it on the floor to see where it went wonky and then stretched it as much as possible to try and straighten it. If that doesn't work try working with it wet. Usually you can get it straight enough so you can proceed with your project. May have to pin it to a carpet until it dries.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

As far as I'm concerned, if it is PRINTED wrong, it's a defect.
I would keep my life simple and return it.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:28 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
As far as I'm concerned, if it is PRINTED wrong, it's a defect.
I would keep my life simple and return it.
I have spent many hours trying to "fix" bad prints. Usually it is because I don't notice it right away. If it is a recent purchase, I would return it also.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:44 PM

Add wide sashing and then square it up. Your grandson will never notice it's crooked.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:52 AM

If you really love this panel, feature the wonkiness. make it unique. I'm sure he'll love it no matter what you do with it.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:18 AM

i would take it back and see if the other panels are the same way on the bolt..maybe it is a bad bolt and the LQS would like to know.

otherwise, wetting and blocking it may work.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

working in an lqs for awhile i learned that 'most' of the preprinted panals are wonky...sometimes you can straighten them enough for it to be usuable. i spritz with a water bottle then hold it cross-wise corner to corner and tug to straighten, lay it out. pin if necessary and press. i tried to take one back once, the lqs would not take it back because they said it is common, just the way it is, we learn to deal with it, it's the price we pay for looking for short cuts (i don't work there anymore)
it does seem to be quite common for them to be off...sometimes creative cutting can minimize how noticable it is. 1/4" isn't bad at all, should be able to straighten that, i've had them be off as much as 2"!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
i would take it back and see if the other panels are the same way on the bolt..maybe it is a bad bolt and the LQS would like to know.

otherwise, wetting and blocking it may work.
I just had the same thing with one that I bought last week. I went back and we cut another one and it was the same way... I decided to keep it and work with it b.c I liked it, but it is disappointing to say the least. I am going to try the water/carpet/stretching trick to see if that helps.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:27 AM

I decided to "work" with the wonkiness and let it do it's own thing. I put a 3" border on and squared up the best I could. You can't tell too much and I don't think my grandson will care :) I'm sure it's going to take some abuse so I don't think I'll worry about it...LOL.

I never buy panels so I was shocked that it was "off". It turned out pretty cute considering :)