Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wonky, wonky, wonky... >

Wonky, wonky, wonky...

Wonky, wonky, wonky...

Old 12-08-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
.and the thing is once the quilt goes to the long armer...it becomes the long-armers responsibility to make it lay straight....quilt all the bad stuff out and have no puckers or pleats.....
Seems like you deserve extra pay for the extra work of making it lie flat and getting all the bad stuff out. I can't imagine asking someone else to deal with a mess I made.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:39 PM

Oh my, BEE'S!!! I was going to suggest steaming it, but 6" is a lot of material to try to stretch, I'm sure once it is quilted, even in it's wonky state it will be okay, obviously not like you would like. But hey, it will be complete and able to warm up a cold body. Good luck and post a pic if you can.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:22 AM

Eddie, everything I have seen that you have done is magnificent. I know you will end up with a happy quilt. ... you always do.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:32 AM

Oh that sounds like a nightmare. Hope it all turns out ok.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:05 AM

I have no doubt this is a customer's quilt, not your creation. :)
I also have no doubt you will make the quilter proud and they will most likely never know you have any challenge with it.

Are you venting or looking for possible solutions? I know your work is awesome so I am not doubting your skills. Would like to see a photo but I guess you can't really show us with the quilt on the machine? If it is ?pretty? square on the top and a -different- ?pretty? square on the bottom, could you bleed in a 3" sash on each side of the smallest end? You have the skills to make the sash look like part of the quilt's design. ??????? Out of the question ????? :) :) :)
Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 AM

No bees -------- you DO realize that if the bees were where you wanted them you wouldn't be quilting for a good long time (unless you wanted to stand up for each procedure). The mental thought has me doubled up with laughter. The quilt will work !!! Positive thoughts always help .......
Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 AM

I have had to take quilts off my long arm machine and resew blocks to be able to quilt stuff out. I have one lady that brings me quilts all the time to do that sews like that. They are not vintage. She just cannot sew.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:26 AM

finish!! some people love wonky - it will give it character...my first quilt was shapped like a flower pot (seriously) and my brother visited from out of town (country actually) and just loved it for some reason - he took it home and I will never have to look at it again :-)(

Originally Posted by Eddie
I have a vintage top on the longarm that looks...well..... Nothing is square about it, it's about 6" narrower at one end than the other, it's drifts off to the left, many of the blocks are "belled", etc. At this point I think I'd rather have a bunch of bees in my underwear than finish this. Ugh!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:28 AM

hey what happened to my favorite avatar?

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
Starch will help draw some of the blocks tighter. if some are so belled ballooned you can do tight stipple to draw the fabrics. use the steam iron just steam the snot out of it. It has helped me at times. Just dont hit the fabric with the iron. I have found that you can tighten up a backing fabric on the longarm doing that technic too. I surehope this helps you.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:29 AM

wonky can be good, but perhaps, especially as this is vintage it is crying out for hand quilting. Sometimes it is good to go back to the old ways.