Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool applique /cotton >

Wool applique /cotton

Wool applique /cotton

Old 07-06-2017, 04:42 AM

Default Wool applique /cotton

I am looking to do wool applique pennies on a pillow. But I do not want to use wool for the pillow cover. I want to use cotton or flannel and looking to see if they can be mixed. If anyone has done this, can you advise if I should make a pullow front, do the appliques and then a back for the pillow. Usually I do envelope style for pillows but think it makes more sense to just work with a front. This is an example of what I am thinking. http://prairiewoolens.com/penny-pillow

Thanks
Old 07-06-2017, 04:48 AM

Cute pattern! Yes, you can applique felted wool to cotton (my avatar uses the cheap plastic felt, but I have done wool on cotton & it works fine).

Typically, applique is done prior to piecing. This isn't quite as important with wool because you bond it to the fabric with fusible web, so there usually is little to no take up in the fabric. Still, with the pillowcase method, it would be difficult to get nice, even blanket stitches as you get closer to the end seam. I would definitely recommend doing the applique first & then stitching your seams.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

I appliqué wool to cottons & flannels all the time. Appliqué the pillow first then put it together. You can ( birth) it, or use pretty much any method you want, just get your appliqué all stitched then use that piece as the front of the pillow. ( I'm not sure what you mean by envelope style)
ive never used fusible web products on my wool appliqué so have no idea how that factors in if you are using it- I use a blanket stitch to appliqué my pieces.