Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wool batting- extreme wrinkles >

wool batting- extreme wrinkles

wool batting- extreme wrinkles

Old 02-22-2023, 07:17 PM

Default This works for wool batting!

Originally Posted by Hobbs Batting View Post
Hello, this is Stephanie Hackney from Hobbs.

If you’re buying the Tuscany Wool, it should not have wrinkles, or at least very few - that’s the primary benefit of the hand-folded, hand-packaged Tuscany Wool over our Heirloom Wool (which is finished by machine and compressed when rolled).

To easily release wrinkles from the batting, spritz it very lightly with water and toss the batt in a cool/air-fluff dryer fir 5-10 minutes - the wrinkles should drop right out!

We don’t recommend pre-washing this batting and recommend all quilts, especially those made with our Wool, Silk or Cotton/Wool, be washed on a delicate cycle, in cool water, and air dried (you can slightly dry the quilt made with these battings, but only in a delicate, low heat or air fluff cycle.

Please also note that we recommend Heirloom batts be unbagged if they won’t be used within a month or two - simply place them into a pillow case or wrap in scrap fabric to keep the batting clean and dust-free. And batting rolls should be stored without the tight plastic, if possible - this will reduce wrinkling.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions - I’d be happy to assist you.

Happy Quilting!
Stephanie
I dug up this thread from four years ago today. I received a Hobbs wool batting some time ago from a friend, and am now ready to use it. It had been in the bag several years, and when I opened it up today it was really wrinkled. The technique from Stephanie and others was really helpful. It didn't completely take out the worst wrinkles but those are along the edge and will be trimmed off anyway. The rest of the batting is nice and smooth, and I was able to layer the sandwich this evening, preparatory to basting for hand quilting. I'm really happy with these results!