Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wool batting- extreme wrinkles >

wool batting- extreme wrinkles

wool batting- extreme wrinkles

Old 01-16-2018, 12:38 PM

Default wool batting- extreme wrinkles

Hey all,
I just pulled a piece of wool batting out of the bag to use and there are a couple of places that are wrinkled to the point where I can't smooth the batting onto the quilt backing, it wants to spring up making it almost impossible to get both the backing and top on evenly. I've never had cotton do this, but the wool is much more springy than cotton and this batt has a mind of its own.

It's Hobbs Tuscany wool. Any ideas on how to solve this problem-- I could put it in the dryer on air fluff, but the package says not to use any heat and those instructions were for after it was quilted, not before.

Rob
Old 01-16-2018, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

I would mist it with water, then put in a large dryer on low heat. Alternatively, you can mist and then lay out over a quilt frame or other surface to dry naturally.

Edit: I don't know why it says no heat. A number of quilters here have said they have dried quilts with that batting on low heat with no problems.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:56 PM

I've had that problem with Hobbs Tuscany wool. I did what Prism recommended and it worked out fine. It's worth the little extra work, because it's lovely to quilt. I quilt on a TL2010Q, very similar to your PQ1500, and I found the wool batting easier to handle through the harp. Let us know how you make out.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:59 PM

Thanks Prism99 and Patricia Drew. I'll try the mist and dry.

Rob
Old 01-16-2018, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

Rob, thanks for the topic. I just ordered that very batting. I've never worked with it before.
Good luck!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:24 PM

Rob--I've had that happen and draped it over a rod (show, etc) and misted it and let dry--worked fine.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:16 AM

I use Tuscany wool all the time and have never had a problem with. I wash with warm water on regular cycle and dry in the dryer on timed dry until dry.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:31 AM

Hey all, I misted it and hung it over the shower curtain and that fixed the problem. It's a dream to quilt through and I’ve been using it in some of my art quilts where I want to get more loft. Thanks so much for your replies on how to fix it.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 05-07-2018 at 03:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-07-2018, 05:27 AM

Hello, this is Stephanie Hackney from Hobbs.

If you’re buying the Tuscany Wool, it should not have wrinkles, or at least very few - that’s the primary benefit of the hand-folded, hand-packaged Tuscany Wool over our Heirloom Wool (which is finished by machine and compressed when rolled).

To easily release wrinkles from the batting, spritz it very lightly with water and toss the batt in a cool/air-fluff dryer fir 5-10 minutes - the wrinkles should drop right out!

We don’t recommend pre-washing this batting and recommend all quilts, especially those made with our Wool, Silk or Cotton/Wool, be washed on a delicate cycle, in cool water, and air dried (you can slightly dry the quilt made with these battings, but only in a delicate, low heat or air fluff cycle.

Please also note that we recommend Heirloom batts be unbagged if they won’t be used within a month or two - simply place them into a pillow case or wrap in scrap fabric to keep the batting clean and dust-free. And batting rolls should be stored without the tight plastic, if possible - this will reduce wrinkling.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions - I’d be happy to assist you.

Happy Quilting!
Stephanie
Old 05-07-2018, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Thank you Stephanie for all the info. I love Hobbs battings.