Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Word to the wise >

Word to the wise

Word to the wise

Old 04-20-2015, 07:05 AM

A will is great especially if there are battling elements, but just letting someone know what you want done is wonderful too. Even just a piece of paper, taped to the back of a door (if you have a dedicated room). No one lives forever and it does not go away if you ignore it.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:06 AM

Maybe some of our relatives will be on that show called "Strange Inheritances". hehehe.....Just enjoy each day you live to the fullest....after we're gone, it won't matter anymore anyway. I don't feel "compelled" to feel guilty that I'm not going to sew up every piece of fabric I've purchased before I leave the living. I do feel "compelled" to enjoy the time I have remaining here and enjoy my time with my Katybug.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:27 AM

I have been working on mine a little at a time. I know there will be stuff the family will still have to deal with but hopefully it won't be too bad.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

You are so right. My girlfriend just went to an estate sale over the weekend. She bought most of a woman's collection for 150 dollars. That included all her books and cutting supplies, mats and a ton of fabric from the best quilt shop in town where the lady worked. She got thousands of dollars worth of stuff for such a small price. Her family just wanted rid of it. So sad. But it was good for my friend...
Old 04-20-2015, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the reminder. Have got to decide what I really want to keep. We are on a tight budget and it seems I keep everything so I don't have to spend any money on fabric.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:54 AM

My son is to sell my fabric. He knows the cost of it so he will have a tidy sum when it is all said and done. I am organized which will help him. I do have to finish logging in my patterns to an organizer program. Then I will do the fabric and rulers etc... No I do not plan on dying anytime soon. I had 2 Aunts that lived to be 100 and 103. My Mom is 88 this year and her brother is 98. Soooo I plan on that longevity. I just want all my stuff organized. I have 2 full rooms of it. One is the fabric, books and patterns as well as ufo room. Hubby knows this is my passion and accepts the rest! Luann
Old 04-20-2015, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by southernmema View Post
Maybe some of our relatives will be on that show called "Strange Inheritances". hehehe.....Just enjoy each day you live to the fullest....after we're gone, it won't matter anymore anyway. I don't feel "compelled" to feel guilty that I'm not going to sew up every piece of fabric I've purchased before I leave the living. I do feel "compelled" to enjoy the time I have remaining here and enjoy my time with my Katybug.
Love your attitude!
Old 04-20-2015, 03:11 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I confess that I would not mind in the least if all my fabrics went in a garage sale to some lucky soul. My too pretty to cut items give such joy as is. I love to pull them out and ponder what wonder I will create.

When I am gone there will be all sorts of strange items for my loved ones to go through, but they will probably cry and laugh in equal measure. None of them sew, so my items will hopefully go to good will and some one can do with them as they will, perhaps my too pretty to cut items are destined to be some ones else's first quilt, the one that gets them hooked!
Old 04-20-2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Laurajbr View Post
I am so sorry for your loss. I confess that I would not mind in the least if all my fabrics went in a garage sale to some lucky soul. My too pretty to cut items give such joy as is. I love to pull them out and ponder what wonder I will create.

When I am gone there will be all sorts of strange items for my loved ones to go through, but they will probably cry and laugh in equal measure. None of them sew, so my items will hopefully go to good will and some one can do with them as they will, perhaps my too pretty to cut items are destined to be some ones else's first quilt, the one that gets them hooked!
Great idea of a first quilt! None of us like to think about what will happen. So sorry to loose a quilter. I recently "cleaned" about 3/4 of my sewing room and made a list of projects as I went. Put either UFO or NS by each one. I filled 3 legal size pages and started 4th. Later I plan to go thru and give away some of these to my guild's charity quilts. I'm 60 and have been a constant quilter for 14.5 years.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

A sad story indeed. When my sister passed away my nieces gave me her stash, but when we had to leave our home of 33 years, it made the job of downsizing that much more difficult for me. Fortunately, I have a dear friend who stood by me and helped me whittle down my considerable stash, with some for her to keep, some to pass on to other quilters and charity groups. Since we've moved to an apt., I have been trying to use up the fabrics I have, however, a spinal cord injury sidelined me for several months, however, I am fortunate to have recovered 95% of my previous abilities. Then I was sidelined again with a torn rotator cuff repair, managed to get a patchwork and appliqued quilt for our DGD, totally from my stash, and thankfully was able to quilt it after my surgery just in time to give it to Zoe as a Christmas present. Now I'm facing a shoulder replacement in that same shoulder, knowing I'll be in a sling for 4-6 weeks, but praying that once recovered from the surgery I will no longer have none, or very little pain so that I can get back to doing "normal" things, like quilting and sewing. Fingers crossed. I do, however, need to let my DH and kids know where to give my stash so it can continue to do good.