Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The worst part about binding >

The worst part about binding

The worst part about binding

Old 09-28-2015, 05:39 PM

I hide the knot under the binding and then just back stitch one or two stitches and then again when I finish a thread I also hide it under the binding.. that is just me.. oh yes, do not cut the thread too long.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:30 PM

I use a new (Bounce or Downey) fabric softener sheet, and run the thread (after it's threaded) through it, and the softening agents keep the thread from tangling. Works like a charm.

The other thing you can do is use quilting thread. It's thick, and does not tangle.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:25 AM

Thank you all for your advise. Could you tell I was having a frustrating evening? I do use Mettler Silk finish thread, and I do use Thread Heaven. I need to shorten my thread length I quess. Will also try some of the other suggestions of threading several needles and dryer softener sheets. Thanks again!
Old 09-29-2015, 03:30 AM

I used to have problems with that all the time but not at all lately. I am not sure why. There are a few things I do differently than I used to. I read here to thread the needle on the end you take off first and knot the end coming off the spool last. I use better thread (Superior's Masterpiece 50 weight). I also would stitch hems etc. right to left, now I do the binding stitch away from me to the north. I use to have to always lift up the piece I was working on and drop the thread to untwist. Not anymore. Great.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

Use good quality thread and the right size hand sewing needle. To hide the knots, run your needle under the unsewn binding, take a back stitch, run the needle through the batting, pull taunt, and snip, the thread will disappear in the batting. This is how I hide the ends when handsewing binding.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:42 AM

Sometimes my thread tangles and sometimes it behaves (and I always use the exact same procedure). I think the tension with which you are pulling through has something to do with it. I think pulling slowly with a relaxed grip gives better results.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:18 AM

I hand sew my binding onto the back also and what I have been doing is sewing into the 1/4 seam area under the binding and knotting there. Then I'll start about the same place under the binding and come out from underneath so it hides my beginning and ending knots. Of course I can't finish the very last knot but I run my needle between the binding and out about an inch or two, tug a little to pull the final knot into the fabric and then chop the end of the thread. Similar to how we hide thread tails on the quilt frame.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:43 AM

I will repeat several things that have already been mentioned here. I use a single strand of thread that I measure from where I'm holding the end to my elbow (this is the length I am most comfortable for almost all my hand sewing -- hemming, sewing on buttons, applique, embroidery, hand-quilting). I use the Clover Domed Threaded Needle Holder and thread several needles at one time http://www.joann.com/clover-dome-thr...e/2184992.html. I do use Thread Heaven but don't run my thread through it until I get ready to sew with it. Then I hold the thread on the top of the Thread Heaven and run the thread over it two or three times, then pinch the thread between my thumbnail and forefinger, which flattens out the thread. I am one of those who have a tendency to twist my needle, so every 5-6 stitches, I let the needle hang and untwist the thread. When you hide your knot, hold the knot with your thumbnail and give a tug so the knot "pops". I use the same thread to hand sew binding that I used to machine sew it on, if I matched the color. Otherwise, I use a matching Mettler Silk Finish 100% cotton thread. I wouldn't use hand-quilting thread, as someone suggested, because I think it's too heavy. I use an applique stitch, so my binding stitches blend into the binding.

Last edited by mckwilter; 09-29-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:36 AM

Please thread needle
then cut thread from the spool.
This should do it.
Also use a milliner needle which is longer
and you keep you from spinning a shorter needle. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:42 AM

I sew my binding by machine these days. Faster. I use the method that you sew it on the back and bring to the front. What I hate is connecting the two ends. But getting better at it.

Sandy