Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worst Quilt Contest Entries.

I think it would be fun to try and make a bad one on purpose just to see how bad i could make it or what silly things i could do to it just go mad and have fun! lol

Go for it GK. I can't wait to see it.

Blog Entries
    Okay, I read through these posts before looking at the quilts and found myself thinking "it sounds kind of mean to be laughing at other's work". BUT, now that I've looked - and laughed - I get it. I hate to think of someone spending so much time on some of those quilts. I saw lots of hand quilting, too, which I won't comment on because I haven't tried it yet :-)

Sadly, there was a quilt at the local quilt show that could have been in this collection. I looked at it and thought "what on earth was the quilter thinking!!?" It was a bargello in beautiful fall colours. The quilt had been sandwiched with a thick polyester batting (I know this, because all the binding wasn't on yet) and the quilting was stitch-in-the-ditch. All those little squares puffed up like marshmallows and the entire quilt turned into a huge warped .....hmm, can't find the right word .... thing! So warped it will never lay flat on a bed. I say all this was sadly, because it had potential to be spectacular. A queen-size bargello gone fat :x I was so embarassed for the quilter I didn't take a picture of it, although now I wish I had!

Me thinks that I have a few to enter.... :lol:

Wow. Makes me feel a little better about my own failures!

I get Ami Simms newsletter and blog and have seen many of these before, but I couldn't resistand had to look again! My sides hurt after reading some of these. I especially liked the one displayed hanging from a dumpster! :?

Maybe I should enter some of mine! :lol: :twisted: :wink:

I just about pee'd my pants, I was laughing so hard at the explanations. I hope the folks who made these have learned the error of their ways. Thanks for the link. Those quilts are priceless.

I really can't imagine I would continue if my quilt turned out like any of them.

Thanks for posting this link. Hilarious!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh Lordy, I just had a "Depends" moment looking at those quilts. I guess I AM proud of my work after all. And you're right about the American Idol tryouts. Which one would you call William Hung? ROTFLMAO!!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    [I'm afraid to wash mine too. I have visions of the seams all coming apart because the fabric edges frayed real bad.

[/quote]

Pam, I know what you mean. I washed my avatar quilt just before I gave it to Gramps. My mom asked me if I really wanted to do that! LOL. I told her I'd rather it fall apart BEFORE I gave it to him, rather than after. Fortunately it survived, and in fact has been washed more than 10 times!

I DID have a quilt fall apart on me that was given as a gift! I was mortified! I used batting that I bought at Walmart in the plastic bag. I read and followed the directions to a "T".
    I gave the quilt to a friend of mine, her son spilled some stuff on it. He plopped it in the washer, as his mom told him and when they took it out, ALL the batting layed at the bottom. Yes, it was tied, but it was tied EVERY 4 inches, just like it said on the directions. I was horrified! I went to my friend's house and helped her pull off the binding, cut all the ties and then she used batting that she had purchased. Got it put back together and tied it again, same as it was. The quilt has been washed numerous times since and hasn't fallen apart.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    [ I went to my friend's house and helped her pull off the binding, cut all the ties and then she used batting that she had purchased. Got it put back together and tied it again, same as it was. The quilt has been washed numerous times since and hasn't fallen apart.[/quote]

Ouch!! I guess I'm lucky, because my first quilt teacher, who is an award-winning expert, became one of my very best friends, and has saved me from a lot of unintentional mistakes, bless her heart! At least you and your friend can laugh about it together (now that it's in the past) and you know that SHE knows the effort you put into the quilt!! LOL

I was horrified when she told me what happened!
    I called the maker of the batting and the lady was telling me that I didn't follow the directions correctly. I e-mailed her a picture of the quilt so she could see EXACTLY how it was tied. She then apologized to me and said she'd send me a refund for the product. I had also e-mailed her a copy of my reciept. Do you think I got my refund? NOPE! Do you think I use that batting anymore? OH HECK NO!!

Wow -- this site makes even my quilts look great!!!

You people are BADDDD. Imagine if one of those people are on here and reading what you are saying. Everyone is not as gifted as you all are. We all have to start somewhere and not everyone has the craftiness in their soul but we all need to give them an E for effort and call it a day. They won a prize with their craft, even tho its for being the worst, did we?

You never saw a picture of mine. Maybe because I am ashamed to put a picture on here, you maybe say nice compliments but do you mean it.

Jane in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by janedennis
    You people are BADDDD. Imagine if one of those people are on here and reading what you are saying. Everyone is not as gifted as you all are. We all have to start somewhere and not everyone has the craftiness in their soul but we all need to give them an E for effort and call it a day. They won a prize with their craft, even tho its for being the worst, did we?

You never saw a picture of mine. Maybe because I am ashamed to put a picture on here, you maybe say nice compliments but do you mean it.

Jane in Florida
    Jane, the thing with that contest is that people sent in their OWN stuff. They know how bad it is, the major mistakes they made that they can now laugh at and probably learned a lot from. I don't think it's done in a mean spirit. We laugh because I bet a whole lot of us have been there, done that. We laugh in sympathy and remembrance of the horrible things we have done too.

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    Quote Originally Posted by janedennis

Jane in Florida
    Jane, the thing with that contest is that people sent in their OWN stuff. They know how bad it is, the major mistakes they made that they can now laugh at and probably learned a lot from. I don't think it's done in a mean spirit. We laugh because I bet a whole lot of us have been there, done that. We laugh in sympathy and remembrance of the horrible things we have done too.

So true Pam, I could have entered one in that contest1 I keep my failures in a closed plastic tub, and every once in a while I get them out and laugh at myself! :lol: :lol:

I do believe it was done in good fun, at least that is the way I took it!
    Ninnie

Blog Entries
    I think this contest opens up a whole new category of inadequacies. Just imagine getting rejected for "not being bad enough." At that point, do you laugh or do you cry? :D

I read about a quilt horror where a woman used the polyester serger thread to sew a quilt top. When she ironed the top, all the thread melted and she had to start over.

Maybe some of you did, but some people who have been criticized may not.

Jane

Jeepers!!!! I could do better than that if I had my eyes closed the whole time I was working! In fact that is how these look their best, with my eyes closed.

Everybody starts somewhere and I personally give each and every one of these quilters an "E" for effort. If nothing else, it adds credence to the concept that quilting does require many skills to have a successful looking finished project. All of them tried but missed the mark but they did try. Look hard and I bet you could say something positive about each of them. ("oh, good colors" or "oh, good design")

(and it makes me terrified to EVER enter any of my quilts in a show....)

from a retired special ed. teacher who always tried (and still tries) to see the good in everyone and everything.....

Yeah if they didn't have a sense of humor about it they would never have entered the contest knowing full well what it was about. I do not like insult humor cause it is mean in my opinion but the people being made fun of did not sign up for that. These people did and I applaud their courage.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    Yeah if they didn't have a sense of humor about it they would never have entered the contest knowing full well what it was about. I do not like insult humor cause it is mean in my opinion but the people being made fun of did not sign up for that. These people did and I applaud their courage.

We have all had those quilts that just didn't pan out. They knew exactly what was wrong with their quilts, that's why they entered, trying to win "The Worst Quilt Contest" We aren't laughing at them, but joining in laughing with them! I applaud them for being able to laugh at themselves!

Ninie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast