Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Worst quilting item purchased >

Worst quilting item purchased

Worst quilting item purchased

Old 06-22-2015, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Goodness! I love Pinmoors. I have had some forgotten stuck on a pin and washed and they were still on the pin. They stay on until I take them off. I use them whenever I use a pin. I detest pin pricks. I think it is the pin not the Pinmoor that is the reason many don't like them. The quality glass head thin sharp pins stick in them like butter and stay in.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:00 AM

I too love my Pinmoors! I actually sliced one in half the long way to see if they would work that way and also be a bit thinner. It worked fine either way.
My worst purchase was the bias tape maker and cutter from Simplicity, donated them! Awful JMHO
Old 06-22-2015, 10:01 AM

YES! I totally agree with Sandy I .... I need to declutter and let them go!

Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
Books and patterns that I look at now and know that I'm never going to use to make anything. Really should do a "clean out, organize, and get rid of".
Old 06-22-2015, 10:54 AM

An expensive blade sharpener that would not sharpen even a butter knife. What a waste
Old 06-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

The Alto cutting system. Looked great at the expo but got it home and found it too unwieldy. It also takes too much brain power to figure out how to stack the layers for best use of fabric. When I cut that efficiently, I won't have any fabric for scraps. Once the loft is in order and I have a bigger table, I will have to give it another try.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:27 AM

I have more than 2 bookcases FULL of quilting books that I will probably never use to make quilts. Especially now, with the internet, everything is right there & handy. When I'm gone and the kids have to sell everything, they'll be cussing me out good!! :-)
Old 06-22-2015, 11:28 AM

I bought the set of rulers where the cutter rides along the rim so you get perfect cuts, doesn't work for me at all and I wish I had that money back.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:51 PM

I love my Pinmoors and my June Tailor rulers! Definitely diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks!

My waste is the Curve Master foot. My curved piecing is STILL a disaster!

I love gadgets though. I don't mind having a stash of rulers that aren't used all that often. I do a lot of different crafts so I "borrow" my quilting rulers for other things too. Never know when you're going to need some weird angle for something...
Old 06-22-2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I don't have any bad gadgets or specialty rulers, but just wanted to add that I have given up on getting my good metal scissors professionally sharpened-- such as Ginghers and Mondials. They are never like new after sharpening, just have new annoyances to deal with, so now I just buy a new pair when I need them. I'm worth it!
I was told by a quilt shop, if your scissors have a knife edge, sharpen like a knife.....NEVER have them professionally sharpened.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:49 PM

Humm, I love gadgets and organizers but after all these tips I surely won't buy a rotary blade sharpener! The one thing in my sewing room that I hate with a passion is my serger! I spend forever threading the darn thing and the thread breaks after serging just a few inches! I swear one of these days.......