Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Would I be nuts if?

I need some advice, I have a full size quilt that I yet to put sashing and borders on, but I am thinking of hand quilting it when I get ready to quilt? Would I be nuts to try?
    I am half tempted to try! Need advice on this, to try or not to try is the question. It is something in the evening that I could do while watching television, so should I?

I think you can do it, and the sooner you start, the sooner you will get finished. I do hand quilting and it is doable, but it won't be fast.

Banned
    Get with it!!!!!! :lol:

Banned
    I have always wanted to hand quilt one for the sake of saying that I did one. I say go for it!!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    Go for it!!! :D :D :D

My first quilt was a whole cloth queen sized all hand quilted. Go for it/ You will never feel more accomplished.

Blog Entries
    I say go for it

I would if I were you.
    Just don't think it...DO IT!

thanks for the encouragement, I am excited and I know it will take time to do, but what a great winter project for the evenings. I got quilting needles and thimbles (the good ones) but do I use quilting thread which is much heavier than regular or regular thread? I know I need even and small stitches. I can do this, I have quilts that my Aunts handstitched the entire quilts. Something so real and close to my heart with those quilts, when I think of my Aunts hand quilting them and how kind they were to me, it is like a part of them is still with me! Both of them have been gone for many years! I really miss them.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    Go for it!!!!! I always have one in process. Sometimes wall hanging or baby quilts. Love to hand quilt. My winter project is a queen size with 28 12 1/2 inch blocks. Will probably do one or two on the machine at the same time. I have a large quilt room so I can spread out.
    If you enjoy hand quilting, you will be hooked!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you like hand work, go for it. I do hand embroidery when I watch TV but can't stand to do it if nothing is on. This makes is slow since TV is pretty bad, but if you can live with slow, why not try it?

agreed, not much on tv these days, but dh flips the channels, so hand quilting is something to do, even if it takes me two years I am ok with it. It will be warm to cuddle with while hand sewing. winters here in Illinois can be cold and sometimes long. This will tell me if I like hand quilting or not!

Power Poster
    Don't worry about making tiny stitches. Try for more or less even stitches at first.

Go for it. I love to hand quilt and do it on special projects. I usually end up machine quilting gifts just because I get in a time crunch. I find it very theraputic.

Learn and enjoy, you will be amazed how improved your stitching will be by the end of your quilt.

Banned
    Well.....have you started yet??? :wink:

Blog Entries
    Yes do it! I hand quilted my very first quilt...it was Queen sized and you will learn a lot! I found it very relaxing.

I use J & P Coats, Dual Duty, extra strong hand quilting thread..
    It is cotton and heavier than regular sewing thread. It goes through the eye of the needle very easy. Comes in lots of pretty colors, though I usually use off white or ecru.

You bet ya..............go for it.

I do both hand and machine quilting. I do love the hand quilted. Better to give the grandchildren, because of the personal touch. but do not worry about the small stitches try to just make them all the same size then later you can try for the smaller stitches. I use embroidery thread to baste my quilts . I take a stitch about a foot apart and I use the oval hoops. Much easier for me to handle. You will be so proud.
    The machime quilts are beautiful, but the hand quilted are so special.

keeping the home fire burning and waiting for my son's safe return
    Nope, you are not nuts. I hand quilt everything including 2 queen sized and 1 full sized quilt. You will find it to be very relaxing and hard to put down. You won't regret it!

My favorite quilts are the ones I hand quilted. Even did meandering by hand on a table runner one time. I chuckle whenever I look at that one.

I have to have something in the evenings during the winter as I like spending time in the same room as DH and he won't come near the sewing room most days! So I sit in the LR and we chat and watch TV while I quilt. Picture of domestic bliss ! LOL

I love to hand quilt!

Wow, Loretta, what a great suggestion!!! I, too, have toyed with the idea of hand-quilting something. Mainly because I want one of those cute little hoops on a stand that I saw in a shop at Shipshewana IN a couple weeks ago. LOL Definitely need to be able to justify that purchase before I make it! The most handwork I have done up to now is finishing bindings. I teach kdg kids all day and some evenings, just going up to my sewing room is work...I'd love an excuse to just cuddle up in my recliner and watch some TV while I quilt. I have a couple twin size quilts in the works....I think I might hurry up and get one of them to my long arm person and let her baste it for me. I, too, could try this out this winter!

Blog Entries
    My Avatar is my first and i mean first king size',thick batting(no nothing) ,old bed sheet as backing (new quilter+no nothing) hand quilting, a gift to my parents without special occasion and i was :D :D :D as u can say
    More than one month quilting + tiered because of the thick batting .

Banned
    lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.
    I only hand quilt DO it you will love the way it will come out. Just make sure you have a good thimble or you will get holes in you finger. I use a leather one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast