Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would like Feedback on Wool >

Would like Feedback on Wool

Would like Feedback on Wool

Old 10-24-2007, 03:33 PM

It's actually the agitation in the washing that shrinks the wool. If you just soak and spin out, you shouldn't have a problem. A front loading washer will also minimize the problem, because it doesn't agitate.

What a treasure!! I read a really neat article in an Australian quilting magazine a while ago that featured wool utility quilts called Waggas (I think).

From Patchwork Planet:

A unique Australian tradition is the wagga (pronounced wogga). Typifiying the Australian need to 'make do' with whatever was available, waggas were made of whatever the housewife could find. They are heavyweight quilts made of woollen suiting samples, or salvaged squares of wool blanket. Often a wool blanket was used for batting. The haphazard nature of the wagga is a result of the quilter patching anything suitable together, and gives waggas a wonderful charm.
http://inaminuteago.com/blog/index.php/archives/2006/04/18/does-anyone-have-a-clear-definition-of-a-wagga/ that is an interesting blog article about wagga quilts, too.

I think you could do neat things with your wool! I envy you!
Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM

Cathe
I went to that web site you sent me. Altho I could'nt read the small print, the picture of the one I seen, so reminded me of a crazy quilt. I love the name wagga, Gave me inspiration to maybe pursue with my first intial idea of a crazy quilt. Crazy quilts too started intialy out of necessity and what was left of this or that, In the 1800's is when the victorian era made them more out of silks, velvets and satin, and brocades, giving a new twist to quilting and showing off there beautiful hand work. I think I may see a wagga in my future. Thanks so much.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Google Goddess

Did you ever make anything with your wool?

I also am spinning wool on my spinning wheel. I met a lady this week and she is going to teach me to make the wool hook rugs.

Karen "Craftybear"