Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
would like help with a quilt yardage >

would like help with a quilt yardage

would like help with a quilt yardage

Old 11-30-2017, 08:01 AM

Default would like help with a quilt yardage

I want to make a quilt using the 54-40 or Fight pattern and set it with a snowball block. The blocks will be 12" finished and need enough for a queen size quilt.

I have a die to cut the shapes but do not know how much yardage of each of three colors, is needed for the top.
At the link below it shows 4 fabrics But I will use a solid white snowball background and not with the square in the center of it.
The snowball block is perfect for quilting to shine.

My question for those that can figure this yardage out, just how much of the three prints is needed. I have plenty of background white. Just need to know the amounts of prints to buy for my GD's gift. Can go to JA Fabrics tomorrow for fabrics.
TIA for any help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfK7EvWbSVg

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2017 at 09:53 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-30-2017, 10:18 AM

You might be able to get a good guesstimate from here: https://www.shabbyfabrics.com/Tennes...rn-P50692.aspx

I've made a kingsized Tennessee Waltz (54/40 and snowball), but used scraps other than my main background color. If I were just guessing I would say a total of 5-6 yards for other than the background and use extras for pillows or backing.

here's another: http://quiltandsewforever.blogspot.c...see-waltz.html guesttimate that gives some ideas....
Old 11-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Have you drawn out one or two "sets" of what you are making - it would be helpful if we knew what your color placement plan is.

I'm not much help - I tend to buy about double what a reasonable person would buy and then hope for the best.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:41 AM

http://angiequilts.blogspot.com/2011...t-cave_16.html

I clicked on the photo at the above link and this is the color values I would like to use. Would need to know how much of each color to buy, after I talk to GD, to find out what color her new bedroom will be.

Your first link has the snowball block I do not want to use but the second link does give amounts but no clue as to what size quilt she made. On a second page she does show different colors but still no size of the quilt.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
http://angiequilts.blogspot.com/2011...t-cave_16.html

I clicked on the photo at the above link and this is the color values I would like to use. Would need to know how much of each color to buy, after I talk to GD, to find out what color her new bedroom will be.

Your first link has the snowball block I do not want to use but the second link does give amounts but no clue as to what size quilt she made. On a second page she does show different colors but still no size of the quilt.

Here's what she said in that post about size " The pattern provided instructions and fabric requirements for many sizes.....two different sized table runners, wallhanging, crib, lap, twin, double/queen and king. Wow....decisions, decisions. I decided to go all out and chose to aim for a double/queen which will end up being 87" x 105". "

In the end you might just need to figure out how many pieces per block and then per strip and the add up yardage unless you want to buy a pattern, which might be easiest.

I tend to be able to do the math and use a gridded composition book to draw out the blocks and then figure the need. And part will totally depend on where you are using what fabric. Finding the exact correct amount is going to be tough without paying for it.

Last edited by luvspaper; 11-30-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:26 PM

Sounds like the book has all the answers, checked my library for a QITD book but MI does not have any to loan.
So, back to my drafting days of early quilting.
Thank you all for the guidance
Old 11-30-2017, 04:00 PM

I highly recommend the fabric calculator it is awesome just for this purpose. One of my best purchases from joanns
Old 12-01-2017, 02:14 AM
Gay

If this image is what you are looking at, for a quilt 98x98" you will need -

background - 7 yds
green - 1 1/4 yds

purple - 1 7/8 yds
blue - 1 3/8 yds

just now realized you would use purple to snowball, I calculated with a different colour. Just add the blue yardage to the purple. (3 1/4yds ?)
Of course this does not include any border fabrics.

hope I have helped [ATTACH=CONFIG]584610[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 98x98.jpg  

Last edited by Gay; 12-01-2017 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:11 AM

I think I bought Eleanor Burns book on amazon for just a couple of dollars got it in 2 days.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:55 AM

I think if you could find a book from Eleanor Burns that is titled "Tennessee Waltz" that would give you yardage measurement for the size of quilt you wish to make. I have made one from that book and had enough fabrics and then some extra. If you need any info from that book just PM me and hopefully I can help you out.