Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you like to hear a speaker discuss vintage machines? >

Would you like to hear a speaker discuss vintage machines?

Would you like to hear a speaker discuss vintage machines?

Old 01-16-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
A sewing machine rep came to a guild I belonged to and people were bored. I wasn't there. Not everyone likes vintage machines.
I would think a "sewing machine rep" is far different than a "vintage machine technician". To me, a "rep" is going to try to sell me a modern machine. No thank you!
A vintage machine technician is a far different creature than a "rep".

With the older machines, there are certain basic principles that apply to ALL non-computerized machines. If you have an older, "non-computerized" machine, these basics are well-worth knowing and understanding how to apply to maintaining your vintage machine's efficiency.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
I would think a "sewing machine rep" is far different than a "vintage machine technician". To me, a "rep" is going to try to sell me a modern machine. No thank you!
A vintage machine technician is a far different creature than a "rep".

With the older machines, there are certain basic principles that apply to ALL non-computerized machines. If you have an older, "non-computerized" machine, these basics are well-worth knowing and understanding how to apply to maintaining your vintage machine's efficiency.
I would have no problem attending a seminar where the technician discusses and demonstrates techniques to maintain/fix the vintage machine. What I would have issue with (and I hear it on boards all the time) is the intentional tearing down (insulting) of newer machines...they are too plastic, won't last, have to be taken in to be services, and on and on). It is like an us against them mentality that I don't appreciate at all. Have left forums because of that attitude. Not everyone wants a vintage and is perfectly happy with their "modern" machines.

So if the technician stays neutral, it could be a very helpful seminar. Otherwise, not at all.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
I would have no problem attending a seminar where the technician discusses and demonstrates techniques to maintain/fix the vintage machine. What I would have issue with (and I hear it on boards all the time) is the intentional tearing down (insulting) of newer machines...they are too plastic, won't last, have to be taken in to be services, and on and on). It is like an us against them mentality that I don't appreciate at all. Have left forums because of that attitude. Not everyone wants a vintage and is perfectly happy with their "modern" machines.

So if the technician stays neutral, it could be a very helpful seminar. Otherwise, not at all.

My comment in no way was intended to slam newer machines. I simply meant that with non-computerized machines, there are certain "physical characteristics" that are basic to the design of sewing machines in general, especially those that are not integrated with computers. Once you add a computer to the mix, each manufacturer will have their own unique "code" to do different steps, whereas a machine that (for example) uses the cams to create specialty stitches, that is a physical device that can be replicated (if you have the tools and the know-how).

The same could be said for older cars, tractors, etc. Anything mechanical that does not have a computer "simulating" gears, etc., will have certain basic "truths" that apply to the machine.

I generally don't denigrate anything with computers, simply because I've worked in the IT field for 25+ years.

Just like anything else, computers have Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde personalities. There are pro's and con's on both sides of having something (car, sewing machine, appliances, etc.) integrated with computer chips. Personally, I do NOT want to have the "latest and greatest" until it's been on the market for at least a year (if not two), because when you add a computer to the mix, you are going to have BUGS. That's not a slam, it's a fact of life when you're dealing with computers and computer programmers.

Like I said, I've done IT for 25+ years, and done pretty much everything - hardware, software, networking, etc.,etc. - so I know what I'm talking about.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:42 PM

Leta, I must have accidentally replied to your comment instead of replying to the original post. My comment was meant for the original poster.