Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you rather.... >

Would you rather....

Would you rather....

Old 02-27-2014, 12:26 PM

Use them!! Then I can make more
Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

I would prefer that my quilts get used, and well loved. The first quilt I ever made was for my daughter when she was in grade school, and it was the only bed sized quilt I ever hand quilted. She used it growing up, then went into a black and white phase, so she asked for another quilt, but then she put away the first quilt for safekeeping. She considers it a very special quilt and has plans of giving it to our DGD Zoe when she gets a little older to be passed down since she cannot have children. The second quilt I made was made for our DS, Zoe's Dad, when he was in grade school or middle school (not sure exactly), but this quilt was machine quilted, and not hand quilted as my carpal tunnel became too painful for me to hand quilt. That quilt was on his bed all through high school, followed him when he left home, returned with him when he returned home after a major breakup, and he still has the quilt, even though the batting is nearly gone. I do, however, need to make him and our DDIL a quilt for their bed, although they have since switched to a king size bed, so I need to re-evaluate what type of quilt I will make them. I guess that was a very long-winded explanation that I make my quilts to be used, with a few exceptions - like the quilts I make for our bi-annual family reunions. However, imagine how I felt when I saw one of the very first quilts I made being used as a dog bed. I have no words.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:37 PM
Jim

I want mine used. Not to be drugged thru the mud but used as a quilt for warmth. BUT, I have made picnic quilts which are to be thrown in the trunk and spread on the ground when needed
Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 PM

When I have a new grandchild or I make one for a friend, I make two, one personalized with their name and date on it so they can keep it. The other one is a drag-around that they can use every day. You know how kids are, they drag it all over the house, outside to sit on, etc. The drag-around is usually a one piece front and back made from their favorite material, ie, bears, cats, bob the builder, princess, etc. I've been making drag-around quilts for over 50 years because that is what the kids like. Intricate piece work is for the keepers.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 PM

I'm a beginner and so far have only made 3 baby quilts for showers, but now working on one for DH for him to use while watching (sleeping) Nascar & Football. All my future quilts will be for my kids & grandkids with instruction to use them.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:10 PM

Use them! I give most of what I make as gifts and it thrills me when the recipient tells me how much they use it. I had to tell one friend that it did no good to put it on a shelf and save it "for good" because she was afraid her twins would get it dirty. She finally put it out to snuggle under on the sofa with the kids. Happy me, happy quilt!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:19 PM

I feel so badly every time I think about it. I had a quilt which was pieced by my aunt on my father's side and was layered and quilted by my aunt on my mother's side. I used that quilt until it fell apart, and then threw it away. Why, oh why, didn't I put it away when it was starting to wear? Why didn't I keep it even if it was worn? I have lost a treasure that can never be replaced.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 PM

I use mine 24 hours a day. I have a throw for the seating and I sleep under quilt. My dogs have their own and much prefer a quilt made with polyester than cotton batting. How can they tell which is which not sure but they can.

A quilt is to used and enjoyed. I enjoy making when I give away I am not interested if they are put away I have had my enjoyment as long as they don't tell me it's in a cupboard.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:09 PM
Power Poster

Well I don't have any special quilts made by precious family, so I use all the ones I make. When I make them for others - which is most of them, I really want them to put them to full use....I use all the china, glassware and linens handed down to me and often wear my Great Grandmothers engagement ring. I think of her then and it gives a sense of "connectedness".
Old 02-28-2014, 03:25 AM

my quilts are made with love and to be loved. I have not made a piece of art that couldn't be used. Seems to me it would be a waste of time..