Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)? >

Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

Old 10-16-2014, 02:39 AM

Try it! If you don't like it, you can just walk out the same door you walked in! : )
Old 10-16-2014, 03:02 AM

You might get hired by WM but you may NOT get the Fabric Dept. to work in...Iffy at best.. I have got some nice Fabrics there depending on what I need to use it for... Good Luck...+ they don't pay very well..
Old 10-16-2014, 03:02 AM
Power Poster

I have worked for WalMart for 15 years. I have worked at two different stores. I was in the fabric department for 4 years until WalMart took fabric out of our store. I LOVED working the fabric department and WalMart has been very good to me. I hear people talk about how WalMart is trying to get rid of the old timers. I am 72 years old. They have been VERY good to me over the years. Do I like everything WalMart does? No. Do I like everything my children do? No
but it doesn't mean I don't love them. In 2011 they sent me to home office for a fabulous all expenses paid Shareholders Meeting. I do agree that a lot depends on the Managers at the store. Good Luck
Old 10-16-2014, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
No...not at Walmart...you would probably rarely, if ever work in the fabric department...and the customers there can be really awful toward the staff. If you want to work with fabric, why not ask at a local quilt shop? For me..that would be a much healthier atmosphere! Better quality fabrics to spend your paychecks on, too! If you have teaching credentials..you can ask about teaching classes at the shop..even if you don't feel qualified to teach an advanced quilting class..there are always newbies that want to learn everything from pinning, cutting, pressing..choosing colors...but no...I would NOT choose Walmart!!!
Now this is a Good Idea.. Offer to teach a class...
Old 10-16-2014, 04:06 AM

Hi, MartiToo
I would not work at walmart this is the thing with them you may think your going to work in the fabric section and this company will have you all over the store working. If this is just that your dh wants you to get out of the house and you don't need the extra money why not take some sort of classes that don't cost that much. Learn something new for example painting, take your quilting to a new level just something else to think about, but if you need the extra money then go for it.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:24 AM

I worked for WM for two years in the fabric dept. When I transferred to a small store in Indiana. I enjoyed it a lot. Then the manger hired another woman. See took my hours away from me and gave them to this new woman.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:32 AM

The store manager put me into another dept. Nothing happened to the dept. Manager. WM will use you. I do not shop there unless I have to. I have more stories to tell but I will be nice.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:38 AM

I worked at Jo-Ann fabrics for years just remember there's more to fabric dept. than just cutting it. Also friend went and applied at Wal-Mart and you get the dept. they give you and they do which up. Good Luck! Just keep in mind customers can be very rude believe me I meant many in my time.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:41 AM

Don't count on working just in the fabric dept. That is only a small part of that job, it also entails all of the craft depts. and they are scattered over the store, so you will often be up front, stocking craft stuff and get a call to go to fabric where someone has been waiting a while, usually, and not in good humor, and then back to the front to do more in crafts. Just so you know....
Old 10-16-2014, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

If you don't have thick skin then don't work with the public. I don't mind rude people, I just smile until they walk away or keep digging themselves in a deep hole. I don't care enough to get upset over what rude people say.