Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would your stash make the floor cave in? >

Would your stash make the floor cave in?

Would your stash make the floor cave in?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:23 PM

:D We have a single story home so no worries about the floor caving. I hope! :? I do worry about a wall being brought down due to the shelves from the floor to almost the celing loaded up to the gills. :D I also have shelving in the closet. It did cave. :shock: Put new shelving up with a hardwood. :thumbup: Fabric collecting is an illness I agree. And I want no cure. :D Makes me happy! :D :D :D
Old 10-20-2010, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by DeniseP
I was recently at a discount store in my area called Marden's. Most fabric is about $2.99/yard and they have great stuff. The manager of the fabric department is a friend of mine (as most fabric dept. workers know me by name!) and was telling me about a woman who shops there frequently. VERY frequently. Her sewing room was in an upstairs bedroom above her living room. One day she came home and her sewing room was IN her living room. The floor could not support the weight of all the fabric she had and it caved in!

Would your stash cave your floor in? I keep mine divided in enough places so that it won't!
I love Marden's!!! Great fabric. Great selection. I purchase a lot of fabric there.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Marlys
My sewing room is in the basement, so it shouldn't be a problem!!!
Me too; mine is in the basement. But I was at Obie's in Goodville, PA the day before yesterday. All I could think of while I was in there that if a fire started, I would die. Only one person can shop at a time because two people can't get down the "aisles" (narrow paths). Her cutting table is less than a yard long by the width of fabric wide. Probably the last time I go there. And when I looked up I thought, "OMG, if a fire starts and the fabric collapses, I will die!" Now I have to worry about that place collapsing into the basement too!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:31 AM

saw a pattern I just loved in a magazine the other day & since I've been using up a great deal of my stash on my log cabin quilt I decided to head to the quilting stores yesterday (60 miles a way). The kit to make the quilt was priced at $64.99 - I spent over $300.00 on material. Do I have a problem? I think so - don't have the foggiest notion on what I'm making w/ the rest of it. Not so dangerous to take down my floor tho'
Old 10-20-2010, 03:42 AM

My husband keeps telling me if I bring home any more fabric, our floor will cave in, now I"m scared!!! I love collecting the old quilt magazines and books so that too adds to the "stash". Better not let him read this.. Can't let him be right!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:57 AM

Something to think about. Living with my daughter it wasn't a problem. I am on a concrete slab. But I am moving in with my brother and will be in a room over the garage. Well at least I don't have a lot of fabric but the books and magazines may have to be weeded out. I got rid of a lot a few months ago books anyway. So maybe I will be ok.
At least I know that will never happen to me I can't afford it on SS
Old 10-20-2010, 04:23 AM

I hope that was not a hiding place from her husband. Would be a hard time explaining that.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:03 AM

I live in a one story house and my fabric is distributed in every room so I don't have to worry about that.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:04 AM

Mine's not big enough to do any damage and I plan to keep it that way.
After watching all those "Hoarder" shows, I force myself to bypass purchases that I don't need for anything specific.

Roxanne
Old 10-20-2010, 05:25 AM

not a chance, have a 8'x8' closet on the lower floor, with a cement floor. LOL