Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WOW!  In shock. >

WOW! In shock.

WOW! In shock.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:59 PM

I just ordered some from http://www.eleanorburns.com/shoponline/fabricsale.asp - the prices start at $3.00.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by mommafank
Was going to complain about prices also but then seeing what they are paying in other countries felt it not a great idea. So I guess we all should concentrate on how to quilt with less money. Lets all exchange ideas for obtaining our fabrics at a more affordable price. I used to shop at Walmart until they deleted all the fabric from their stores.
That's a Great Idea !!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by hperttula123
Originally Posted by cinjosie
I read somewhere recently that the price of cotton (not fabric - just grown cotton) has gone up considerably -- thus the tremendous increase in fabric prices.
Yes!!! I heard that too. I heard the prices are going up because how how bad the cotton crops have been.
Not out here...crops looked good !! The price from what I've been told is so much going overseas, that makes no since, we could have more mills here. But I'm not going there:)
Could be a sign someone is thinking economy is turning, and thats not a bad thing!!!
Anywhoo could be the amount of growing less than normal, helping the price.
Just glad to see the farmers have a good year !! Can afford new equipment, then hello steel workers, etc. :)
Just my take....:)
Old 12-02-2010, 07:42 PM

I have 3 patterns that have been waiting for just the right fabrics to make them and I finally found it (Northcotts Stonehenge Collection) but when I saw it recently they were selling it here for $22 metre (39" instead of 35") for the cottons. I can't afford that so now I have to keep looking for something else to use and if prices are going up even more, these may never get made unless I win the lottery!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:17 PM

Basics Lady's the Basics :thumbup:
Old 12-02-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by cinjosie
I read somewhere recently that the price of cotton (not fabric - just grown cotton) has gone up considerably -- thus the tremendous increase in fabric prices.
Also the wild weather conditions all over many countries has contributed to bad conditions and affecting the quality and quantity of cotton available. I read someplace that it'll take at least 7 years before it'll be back to normal
Old 12-02-2010, 08:38 PM

The last time I went to JoAnn's, the fabric I bought was made in China. I just don't get why we have to pay so much for fabric. I understand the costs of diesel fuel, bad crops, etc, but I don't like paying $3 more per yard for the same fabric I bought last year for less. I will be using my stash too!
Old 12-02-2010, 10:09 PM

I'm with you. I went there looking for xmas material. I to was shocked some of it was $10.00 a yard. I'll go to my LQS and get much better quality of fabric. If I don't need alot and on sale I will still go to Joanne's. ;-)
Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Power Poster

Another Aussie here...our prices are really high. I only shop when my favourite shops are having sales. Today Textile Traders had 25% off storewide, I bought 1 metre (a little over a yard) of butterfly print and 1/2 metre each of pink and yellow solids - cost $10.50 (Aus.). I love to quilt...it so helps my health and spirit, if I can't find new, it's off to charity shops for remnants or clothing I can cut up.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:22 PM

I just got a coupon for 50% off any single cut of fabric of any kind that is not on sale, as that's what the coupon says. So, I think I'll run on down there (I'm fortunate that JoAnn's is only about 5 miles away.) and buy something that catches my eye. I usually end up buying solid color fabrics, as they are easier to match colors. (for me anyway)