Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WOW!  In shock. >

WOW! In shock.

WOW! In shock.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:28 AM

here in the u k I have seen fabric at £14`s a metre, thats £s not dollers.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
The prices at JoAnn's has gotten more ( alot more) than I think the quality warrents.
I SO agree with this. JoAnn's quality is mostly poor, especially in their "keepsake calico" fabrics. I choose their "premium" quilting fabric more and more. Their Legacy, Stonehill, Susan Winget, Debbie Mumm, etc. fabric are somewhat better quality. I can use coupons on those lines and at least feel that I got a bargain. :D :D

I wish the LQS would run more specials, but I do understand their overhead prices, etc.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by lots2do
I was talking to a new friend who works in a shop. She says it's not the fabric itself that's making the big difference in the price increases but the higher shipping costs to get the fabrics into the shop. Of course, we live way up here in New England and are not close to any major ports.
I thought the ships came in to Portsmouth Harbor or somewhere in Maine. I grew up in NH, but never thought about what ports got what. Interesting...
Old 12-03-2010, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
Wish we could get fabric at that price!!!!
I agree. Most of us here pay 12.99/metre and up, usually around the 17.99/metre & batiks can be as much as 27.99/metre, now grant you, this is LQS prices. Our Fabricland or Fabricville runs about 11.99/metre and most of the fabric is of very poor quality. If the prices keep going up, I'm not sure what the next step will be once our stashes are gone. Once the prices go up...they never seem to come back down!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:47 AM

try www.quilt-in-a-day.com

fabric fpr $4/00 yd or less.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 AM

Our Joanns prices started going up at least 2 yrs ago.Many of the "cheaper" cottons are $5.98yd & better ones $9yd.Notions are the cheapest thing to buy there, especially with a good coupon.Our Walmart fabric area is a joke. Notions look dusty & old.....& it just kills the clerks (you have to call them) when you ask for fabric to be cut.I don't shop there at any price.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I'd give my left arm for good fabric at $8/yd. Here in SW Ontario, quilt store fabric is $15/meter and up. Batiks are even more.
"Cheap" stuff is $10- $12/Meter (just bigger than a yard)
Warm and Natural batting is $69 for a queen size package.
Needless to say, I wait for sales.
With the Canadian $ being so close to par with US right now, it's almost worth the tank of gas to shop over the border, and I'm 3 hours away!
Sounds lika a road trip! When we lived in New Mexico years ago, I got SO tired of being told "it costs more because of shipping costs - we're west of the Mississippi." Guess things haven't changed that much!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:12 AM

I love batiks and my LQS now has a 40% off on Hoffman prints! Christmas is going to be early! I also buy from Roberta when she sells batiks here on the list.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:17 AM

For me in CT JoAnne's fabric are about the same prices as our local quilt shops
Old 12-03-2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I'd give my left arm for good fabric at $8/yd. Here in SW Ontario, quilt store fabric is $15/meter and up. Batiks are even more.
"Cheap" stuff is $10- $12/Meter (just bigger than a yard)
Warm and Natural batting is $69 for a queen size package.
Needless to say, I wait for sales.
With the Canadian $ being so close to par with US right now, it's almost worth the tank of gas to shop over the border, and I'm 3 hours away!
Ontario is only about an overnight (two day) trip to Bateville Arkansas where Marshall Dry Goods store is located. FABULOUS PRICES!!!! Can we all say ROAD TRIP??! Of course I'm right on your way, wanna swing by and pick me up? :lol: :lol: